WHM/cPanel for IPB install

Connect with other users about what to run on your webhosting (and how to run it) here.
President Evil
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

WHM/cPanel for IPB install

Post by President Evil »

im very inexperienced when it comes to web stuff

anyways, I want to transfer my IPB cloud hosting to a licensed version that I can host on a NFO webserver, they told me this:

Yes, that's easy to do and quite a few of our customers have done so. You would not lose any content.

The process is a little detailed, but not difficult.

First you'd purchase a license for IP.Board, plus any of the Addons (Blog, Gallery, etc) that you want to take with you.

Then we'd set your site offline with a "We're Moving!" message, remove the Addons you haven't bought, replace the encoded files used on our hosting with their un-encoded equivalents, then make a "cPanel Full Account Backup" for you (or your new Host) to download with a direct URL.

That backup can be imported in one operation by any host that uses WHM/cPanel server, as we do. Once imported, you may need to adjust the conf_global.php file for the URL used, and the system settings as needed, but that's it.

so I guess I need to know if I can install WHM or cPanel and if so how to do so
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: WHM/cPanel for IPB install

Post by soja »

WHM/cPanel is not supported on NFO web hosting. You would be better off just getting an archive of your files and copying them over to your public directory.

Do you have access to their cpanel, or do they need to do everything?
Not a NFO employee
President Evil
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by President Evil »

im not sure

I wasn't aware you could just copy and unpack the files on a new server, they made it sound like you had to have cPanel
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Nope cPanel is just a management interface for your website, you should be able to almost drag and drop your files(except databases, those will need to be exported and then imported).
Not a NFO employee
President Evil
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by President Evil »

meh, Im think of just going with http://www.site5.com/

as they do IPB installs/migrations and can offer support if I have problems and are experienced with IPB related stuff

$11/month with them beats $45 from invision power :P
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

If they are experienced with IPB then go with them IMO. I run IPB on my own dedicated server and it would be nice to have people experienced with IPB ready for support :)

Make sure you do your research, look into things like reliability, network, hardware. A good place to find unbiased reviews is http://webhostingtalk.com. Not sure if they have reviews for that particular company there, but it can't hurt to have a look.
Not a NFO employee
President Evil
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by President Evil »

I actually did look at webhostingtalk.com and everyone was saying great things about MDDHosting so I ended up going with them :)
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Hope you like it!
Not a NFO employee