Importing large sql database

Connect with other users about what to run on your webhosting (and how to run it) here.
axRhino
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Importing large sql database

Post by axRhino »

I am trying to import a rather large database (286 mb) via phpmyadmin and understand there is a limit to the import size.

A while ago I used a tool to segment the database into a number of smaller files then import them in sequential order. I can't seem to find it online anywhere now.

Does anyone know how I best to approach this or has anyone worked with such a tool? Other ideas?
Caliban55
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Importing large sql database

Post by Caliban55 »

Don't use phpMyAdmin at all, use MySQL Workbench instead. Allows connection to your (My)SQL server and database operations.

http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/workbench/
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

You can also import via command line after uploading the database to your web hosting space.

This would be much faster than importing using workbench over the internet. Depending on how long it takes though, NFO might kill the process. You can't have processes running on the web hosting for more than around a minute. A 286MB database shouldn't run into this problem though.

The command you are going to want to use after you navigate to the folder the file is in through SSH is: mysql -u username -p database_name < file.sql

Where:
username = your mysql username(Databases tab)
database_name = your database name, with your package id in front of it(ex: id_database)
file.sql = the file name of your database

You will need putty to connect to your web hosting server. If you have any questions please reply! Good luck :)
Not a NFO employee
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

Is that 286mb compressed?!