Tools Required to Host Locally

Connect with other users about what to run on your webhosting (and how to run it) here.
QOOOOOOOOQ
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Tools Required to Host Locally

Post by QOOOOOOOOQ »

Going to get a small notebook to do all my coding on, wondering which programs and what steps are required to get an 'open this file have a fully working site from a local directory' kind of thing, I can't find anything specific online, only 'download XAMP and there you go'. Notebook will be Linux-based although I'm using Windows atm and will probably test the procedure on Windows first. Is it as simple as 'download PHP, Python, CSS, and HTML5 (which I think natively works without any installed programs)', then when different scripts are executed, the site should function correctly?

I'd like to create something without the fluff of an all-in-one download, downloading all the parts individually and setting them up to work together myself.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Tools Required to Host Locally

Post by soja »

Which distro are you using?

As for getting programs installed for the majority of web development, installing apache, php, and mysql if your scripts will use that, are all you should need. You can use sftp, but if you want a normal FTP server, I like vsftpd.

Configuring the programs to work with little effort needed afterwards is where most of the work will come in IMO. Configuring apache, local users, ftp, and other config files can take a while for your first time.

If you're making stuff that can easily run on multiple platforms, there's nothing wrong running windows. Get IIS installed, use the "web platform installer" microsoft provides for PHP, and use filezilla server will be easier and you will have a GUI to configure everything.
Not a NFO employee
QOOOOOOOOQ
A regular
A regular

Post by QOOOOOOOOQ »

soja wrote:Which distro are you using?

As for getting programs installed for the majority of web development, installing apache, php, and mysql if your scripts will use that, are all you should need. You can use sftp, but if you want a normal FTP server, I like vsftpd.

Configuring the programs to work with little effort needed afterwards is where most of the work will come in IMO. Configuring apache, local users, ftp, and other config files can take a while for your first time.

If you're making stuff that can easily run on multiple platforms, there's nothing wrong running windows. Get IIS installed, use the "web platform installer" microsoft provides for PHP, and use filezilla server will be easier and you will have a GUI to configure everything.
Debian, as for the features I was going to use this for, I guess I forgot to say. It's only use will be for client-sided image rendering, and links that lead to other pages, kind of like a portal page with 10 other sub-portal pages, all strictly for organized information. Thus , I expect I'd only need HTML, PHP, and CSS, with no network-related processing? Additionally, I don't know why I'd need FileZilla for local files, but I did realize Apache is the actual webserver and the addons for it is what allows PHP etc.
$atanic $pirit
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by $atanic $pirit »

Debian LAMP setup is pretty easy. You just need to follow the instructions and install the required modules.

https://wiki.debian.org/LaMp