Web Hosting Lite & 1-core VDS under same domain name

Connect with other users about what to run on your webhosting (and how to run it) here.
Quickheat
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Web Hosting Lite & 1-core VDS under same domain name

Post by Quickheat »

Hey guys, I am trying to figure out how I can get my domain name to work with both the webhosting lite from NFO and the 1-core VDS plan which I am using for databases etc. Currently, my domain name points to NFO name servers and my hosting is through the Lite hosting plan. I am now adding databases to my VDS and would like this to also use my domain name. As far as I know, I need to update the 'A record' (?) although the place where I bought my domain name (not sure if I am allowed to mention them here, so I won't) requires me to have cPanel access to do that. Because I only have a domain name from my old host and have cancelled my web hosting with them, I don't have cPanel access anymore. I asked a rep from my old host how I can update the A record and was told to use CloudFlare, but as far as I can see, to use them I must change my name-servers to the CloudFlare ones. If I do this, my website will not work because I cannot have name-servers from two separate places (NFO and CloudFlare). I am far from experienced with webhosting, so please forgive me if I am missing something obvious. :oops:

I figure that two threads would be a waste, so while I am here, I am also interested to know if anybody could point me in the right direction about how I can get FTP working on an unmanaged VDS. Since it is linux only when using the 1-core plan, I don't think I can follow the guide on these forums since it is for Windows only.

If anybody could help me out anywhere at all with these issues, I would greatly appreciate it! If you would like more info, please ask.
rlm850
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Web Hosting Lite & 1-core VDS under same domain name

Post by rlm850 »

I'm not sure if I understand correctly, so I will explain it all ways.

Scenario 1:
Domain elsewhere, pointing to ns1.nfoservers.com and ns2.nfoservers.com
Currently parked and loading your website here at nfo on your website package
-you would like your VDS IP to coincide with your domain name-
Visit: https://www.nfoservers.com/control/domains.pl
Enter as such for your desired domain:
Subdomain: Name
Type: A
Target: VDS IP
"Name" becomes what you see in the URL. So, if you set name to "spanksme", and your domain is "hard", your redirect becomes spanksme.hard.com (sorry.. was all I could think of).

Scenario 2:
Domain elsewhere, pointing to cloudfare/flare/however the hell you spell it DNS
Forwards to your NFO website package
Same situation, click the "DNS" button
First dropdown is "A", second box is "Name", last box is "VDS IP", fourth you can leave alone.

---
Linux FTP: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4268
Quickheat
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Quickheat »

rlm850 wrote:I'm not sure if I understand correctly, so I will explain it all ways.

Scenario 1:
Domain elsewhere, pointing to ns1.nfoservers.com and ns2.nfoservers.com
Currently parked and loading your website here at nfo on your website package
-you would like your VDS IP to coincide with your domain name-
Visit: https://www.nfoservers.com/control/domains.pl
Enter as such for your desired domain:
Subdomain: Name
Type: A
Target: VDS IP
"Name" becomes what you see in the URL. So, if you set name to "spanksme", and your domain is "hard", your redirect becomes spanksme.hard.com (sorry.. was all I could think of).

Scenario 2:
Domain elsewhere, pointing to cloudfare/flare/however the hell you spell it DNS
Forwards to your NFO website package
Same situation, click the "DNS" button
First dropdown is "A", second box is "Name", last box is "VDS IP", fourth you can leave alone.

---
Linux FTP: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4268
What you said makes a lot more sense, I didn't really have a clue to be honest haha

Thank you very much I shall try that!
rlm850
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rlm850 »

Quickheat wrote: Thank you very much I shall try that!
Did you succeed?
Quickheat
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Quickheat »

rlm850 wrote:
Quickheat wrote: Thank you very much I shall try that!
Did you succeed?
With the A record yes - although I am unsure how to specify a specific VDS directory to use a subdomain, since the target can only be the VDS IP and not a directory on the VDS. I.e. if my main page hosted on the VDS was forums at forums.example.com, I cannot then specify 0.0.0.0/phpmyadmin to use phpmyadmin.example.com, instead it would use forums.example.com/phpmyadmin, correct?

I have not tried FTP yet. Right now I am trying to configure MySQL to work on the VDS. It is installed fully, I have PHPMyAdmin, have setup my databases etc. except nothing can connect to the databases (Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading initial communication packet'). According to online port checkers, 3306 (the MySQL port) is closed on my VDSes IP address as well
rlm850
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rlm850 »

Quickheat wrote: With the A record yes - although I am unsure how to specify a specific VDS directory to use a subdomain, since the target can only be the VDS IP and not a directory on the VDS. I.e. if my main page hosted on the VDS was forums at forums.example.com, I cannot then specify 0.0.0.0/phpmyadmin to use phpmyadmin.example.com, instead it would use forums.example.com/phpmyadmin, correct?
Yes, this is correct.

If you are using apache, you can set up "vhosts" which will allow you to assign an IP address per directory. So for example, if you have 192.168.1.1, and it has a record of phpmya.site.com with a directory of public_html/phpmyadmin, you can set this, and it will be solely phpmya.site.com with no folder trail.
Quickheat wrote:I have not tried FTP yet. Right now I am trying to configure MySQL to work on the VDS. It is installed fully, I have PHPMyAdmin, have setup my databases etc. except nothing can connect to the databases (Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading initial communication packet'). According to online port checkers, 3306 (the MySQL port) is closed on my VDSes IP address as well
I don't think I have ever gotten an online port checker to work on NFO, but regardless -- all ports are open. Windows Firewall is also automatically disabled as NFO has their own firewall settings in your control panel ("firewall - beta" tab).

Are you trying to cross connect the database to a different web server and/or game server; vice versa? If so, you will need to enable external connections.

Go to:
/etc/mysql/my.cnf

Change:
bind-address = 127.0.0.1

To:
#bind-address = 127.0.0.1

This will allow any IP address to connect to the database, given it provided the correct login information.
In addition, if you are utilizing the login details on the VDS in a web application, do not use "127.0.0.1" as the DB Host, use "localhost".
Quickheat
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Quickheat »

I remember seeing articles relating to bind-address when researching how to fix this, but when I go to the file you mentioned, I never saw any 'bind-address = 127.0.0.1' written in the file... which I found strange? I have tried writing it in with the # in front but it didn't really change anything either...

To check, the database "host" would be the VDS IP address? (That is what I have been using anyway)

The purpose of the databases is to connect to my game-servers
rlm850
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rlm850 »

Quickheat wrote:I remember seeing articles relating to bind-address when researching how to fix this, but when I go to the file you mentioned, I never saw any 'bind-address = 127.0.0.1' written in the file... which I found strange? I have tried writing it in with the # in front but it didn't really change anything either...

To check, the database "host" would be the VDS IP address? (That is what I have been using anyway)
Yes, but you do not need to specify the network IP if you are connecting to it from the server it is running on. In this case: localhost

As for the line not being there -- even if it isn't that should still allow external connections, as far as I know. Especially if the same result persists (given you restarted the MySQL process after the change).

May I ask why you choose not to use the database from your web hosting package instead of the VDS? This would be a lot more simple and efficient rather than the single core VDS, especially if the server is not highly populated. Even better if its only for sourcebans.
Quickheat
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Quickheat »

In my.cnf I see a lot of commented out information, and then:

Code: Select all

!includedir /etc/mysql/conf.d/
!includedir /etc/mysql/mysql.conf.d/
Nothing else, yet I cannot connect

EDIT: NFO recommended a single core VDS to me, because the web hosting plan has resource limits which restrict how many connections my servers & databases can make, causing a lot of my plugins to stop working, so I needed unrestricted connections and I don't know of any other option than this
rlm850
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rlm850 »

Quickheat wrote:In my.cnf I see a lot of commented out information, and then:

Code: Select all

!includedir /etc/mysql/conf.d/
!includedir /etc/mysql/mysql.conf.d/
Nothing else, yet I cannot connect

EDIT: NFO recommended a single core VDS to me, because the web hosting plan has resource limits which restrict how many connections my servers & databases can make, causing a lot of my plugins to stop working, so I needed unrestricted connections and I don't know of any other option than this

You can have 200 -at the same moment- connections open on your NFO website with the Pro package. (I don't like the word simultaneous, even though that's what it is)

Do you mind my asking at what it is exactly you are using to connect to the database? Sourcebans, store, data rank tables like surf ranks?
Quickheat
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Quickheat »

Support told me that the simultaneous connections are for webpages and there is a separate limit for MySQL connections which cannot be raised by upgrading my webhosting plan.

The databases/db connections I use are for the following:

- My site (forum)
- Report players
- Store
- Guard-bans (jailbreak)
- Player rankings (tracks kills, deaths, kdr ratio, headshots etc)
- Custom chat colours
- Sourcebans
rlm850
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rlm850 »

Quickheat wrote: The databases/db connections I use are for the following:

- My site (forum)
- Report players
- Store
- Guard-bans (jailbreak)
- Player rankings (tracks kills, deaths, kdr ratio, headshots etc)
- Custom chat colours
- Sourcebans
And that MySQL error is displayed while trying to parse any web page that connects to the database?
Quickheat
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Quickheat »

That MySQL error comes up with everything, I think.

To be honest, I've basically given up with this. Don't get me wrong, NFO is a great hosting provider - but when told an unmanaged 1-core VDS would be perfect for MySQL hosting? My advice would be not to even consider it. I expected it to be straight forward enough but I've had no such luck. I've contacted support who say the forums are the only way to get help and because nobody can actually see what I've done it's really difficult to help.

This is not intended to be a flame/rant in any way, I value NFO's services. But I cannot deny that I am disappointed at the lack of help available for unmanaged services. Sure, this is third party software - but I know plenty of web hosts which support third party applications. I don't see a reason why NFO couldn't support the most basic/popular third party software such as MySQL. I hugely appreciate the time you have given towards helping me in this thread, but when I have 30 days of paid hosting and 4 days had already ran out at the date of your last response, I'm just wasting my money and am unlikely to get anywhere.

This is not your fault at all, just the fact that forums are a really tedious way to get support on urgent issues due to different timezones and the fact that barely anybody uses the forums apart from the occasional server operator who obviously has their own things to do and cannot dedicate their time to this. I've basically lost $8 but I guess I've just got to deal with it and learn from this mistake - unmanaged hosting is not recommended (at least in my opinion) unless you are fully aware of what you're doing and have done it before.
rlm850
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rlm850 »

Quickheat wrote:I've basically given up with this.
Add me on steam.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/oclwhitey
doulos9
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by doulos9 »

Quickheat wrote:..unmanaged hosting is not recommended (at least in my opinion) unless you are fully aware of what you're doing and have done it before.
Or, you are willing to take the time to learn what you are doing.