Website certificate with let's encrypt

Connect with other users about what to run on your webhosting (and how to run it) here.
colander
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Website certificate with let's encrypt

Post by colander »

Hi,

We have a website (and forum) hosted with you. Is there a way to make certificates from letsencrypt.org work with it?

Thanks in advance.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Website certificate with let's encrypt

Post by soja »

The certs you get from it should be able to be used like any other certificate. Just generate the certs using letsencrypts tool and install them on your web hosting package through the control panel.

Keep in mind you need the highest tier package at NFO to use SSL: https://www.nfoservers.com/webhosting.php#differences
Not a NFO employee
colander
New to forums
New to forums

Post by colander »

Thanks. We do have the PRO version but I don't see any way in the control panel to add a certificate. Perhaps is because my control panel account is a secondary and not the main one?
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

colander wrote:Thanks. We do have the PRO version but I don't see any way in the control panel to add a certificate. Perhaps is because my control panel account is a secondary and not the main one?
That is possible. I don't have a web hosting package to check on that for you unfortunately.
Not a NFO employee
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Sorry, I should of checked the KB first before posting, here is the information about a SSL certificate: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3997

The steps there seem to differ from what you get from generating a letsencrypt certificate, so it would be great to have John or a CSR comment on how this would work with letsencrypt.
Not a NFO employee
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Let's Encrypt is something we're aware of and eventually want to support for all hosted plans. Though, currently there is no ETA on this.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

kraze wrote:Let's Encrypt is something we're aware of and eventually want to support for all hosted plans. Though, currently there is no ETA on this.
So their certificates are currently unsupported, or can they still be used on the web hosting here? If they can be used, how?
Not a NFO employee
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Based on what I'm seeing here it's just not supported in general until we can retool our system to support it. For now anyone needing an SSL would need to stick with our current process.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Supporting letsencrypt will require retooling our systems, yes (we'll have to add SNI support, add control panel support, add scripts to auto-renew certificates, and so on). It's something that I look forward to doing but won't be able to do immediately. I hope to have some time to put into it after it leaves beta, by which time they will also have some more of the kinks worked out.

We can't currently support certificates generated by letsencrypt with our Pro plan because they are only good for 90 days and we have to apply certificates manually.
Figgis
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Figgis »

Edge100x wrote:Supporting letsencrypt will require retooling our systems, yes (we'll have to add SNI support, add control panel support, add scripts to auto-renew certificates, and so on). It's something that I look forward to doing but won't be able to do immediately. I hope to have some time to put into it after it leaves beta, by which time they will also have some more of the kinks worked out.

We can't currently support certificates generated by letsencrypt with our Pro plan because they are only good for 90 days and we have to apply certificates manually.
It looks like their tool could handle a decent amount of work for you. Not sure, but making sure you are at least aware of it.

https://letsencrypt.org/getting-started/
colander
New to forums
New to forums

Post by colander »

There's a new tool that might help:
https://certbot.eff.org