MX record settings to retain email after DNS change?

Connect with other users about what to run on your webhosting (and how to run it) here.
RainMotorsports
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

MX record settings to retain email after DNS change?

Post by RainMotorsports »

We just moved our xenforo installation to a VPS which I have setup for IPv6. However it looks as if NFO's DNS servers do not support AAAA records or IPv6.

We use the email here and I understand if we delete the domain out of the control panel it will erase the accounts. However I was wanting to keep the domain in there as if the nameservers were pointed to it. Actually point the domain to the DNS service I intend to use.

Normally it's entirely possible to point email to a different server through the mx record entries. In this case the existing setup at NFO. Does anyone have the information to accomplish this? It should be possible but if not guess I will have to start running my own mail server lol
Vanderburg
Former staff
Former staff

Re: MX record settings to retain email after DNS change?

Post by Vanderburg »

If you change the namservers on a domain to point to a different webhosting service and don't delete the domain from your webhosting control panel here, our system will stop managing your DNS and email, but the settings, accounts and mail won't be deleted. Unfortunately, it wouldn't be possible to keep the mail working without the domain being pointed to us.
joshh20
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: MX record settings to retain email after DNS change?

Post by joshh20 »

I know that I have my nameservers pointed elsewhere but still am able to use NFO's email system by setting the proper MX records in my DNS.