Let's Encrypt Support

Connect with other users about what to run on your webhosting (and how to run it) here.
Moggle
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Let's Encrypt Support

Post by Moggle »

Hi there,

Any updates on the status of nfoservers supporting Let's Encrypt? I heard there were plans for this, and the last post I saw was from October saying you were working on it. Any ideas on a timeframe for when it might be supported? Not asking for a guaranteed date or anything, just curious.

Chrome + Firefox are being more annoying about sites with passwords not using https lately, so it's more important to have it enabled.

Thanks.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Let's Encrypt Support

Post by Edge100x »

No further news yet on it. Still planning to work on it, but still very busy with a lot of things.
thecomputerdude
New to forums
New to forums

Post by thecomputerdude »

I'm glad someone asked this question. I was able to go willynilly in SSH and make it happen :P

I doubt I could get it to go though.
vaudevillian
New to forums
New to forums

Post by vaudevillian »

I was looking at this; this morning.

Google forcing it opon us. Hopefully it will be done soon. Was actually thinking of switching hosts. But don't need to now.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

As web clients force it more and more, it becomes a higher and higher priority.
It'sRandinator
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by It'sRandinator »

I can agree this should be of the utmost importance. Mainly due to Google..
rymax99
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rymax99 »

TLS/SSL are useless for sites that aren't transmitting/receiving any private/'secret' information, so it's nonsense for search engines to take it into account for ranking. It makes even less sense for a web browser to give warnings about visiting non-secured sites(which I personally haven't experienced).
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Chrome gives a warning for sites that take a login, like forums. Firefox reportedly will also start doing that. I can see their point. Previously, it wasn't practical because of the cost of the certificates, but Let's Encrypt makes it doable.

I just hope Let's Encrypt stays afloat and non-evil! It doesn't have any free-certification competition, and monopolies aren't good.
joshh20
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by joshh20 »

Edge100x wrote:Chrome gives a warning for sites that take a login, like forums. Firefox reportedly will also start doing that. I can see their point. Previously, it wasn't practical because of the cost of the certificates, but Let's Encrypt makes it doable.

I just hope Let's Encrypt stays afloat and non-evil! It doesn't have any free-certification competition, and monopolies aren't good.
You mean monopolies like the entire US cable internet market?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

joshh20, yes. Monopolies are bad in any industry.

I would hate for thousands of customers to be in the position of being heavily dependent on Let's Encrypt, and then to have Let's Encrypt suddenly begin charging, or have its certificates revoked, or go under -- leaving all of those customers with broken/unreachable sites (because browsers are moving in the direction of making https required).

It seems as though there's only a small chance of that. But, still, I hope that other nonprofits follow Let's Encrypt's lead, and come out with similar free certificate services.
slove
New to forums
New to forums

Post by slove »

Any update on this?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Still planned, still not yet ready.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I worked on it a bit today and will continue working on it. Rolling it out will also require updating our webservers to include support for various dependencies, so I will have to schedule a maintenance event for that (and perform other updates, as well).
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

A maintenance event for this should no longer be required.

We are currently testing the system on a webhosting machine. If the testing goes well, we will begin the rollout to other machines, in phases.