Unknown Certificate

Connect with other users about what to run on your webhosting (and how to run it) here.
iViscosity
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Unknown Certificate

Post by iViscosity »

I know this isn't a huge issue since I can obviously trust the NFO certificate, but this is really annoying whenever I want to connect/upload/download from the webhost.

Is there any way to bypass this? The boxes to "Always trust..." is grayed out, so I can't do that...

What I mean:
hiimcody1
Staff
Staff

Re: Unknown Certificate

Post by hiimcody1 »

The easiest way to make this stop showing is to switch your client to using Port 22 instead of 21.

We discuss why this happens and some other options you can try here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=14727
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

SFTP is definitely the way to go. This warning a signal that you accidentally used FTP instead of SFTP/SCP, and that your FTP client tried to (incompletely, since regular FTP is fundamentally problematic) secure it using TLS.

You could instead switch to use standard FTP instead of one of the TLS-enabled wrapper variants, but that's not as good as switching to SFTP.

Arguably, we should stop supporting FTP entirely for webhosting accounts. The only reason not to would be that it could break legacy applications.
iViscosity
New to forums
New to forums

Post by iViscosity »

hiimcody1 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:23 pm The easiest way to make this stop showing is to switch your client to using Port 22 instead of 21.

We discuss why this happens and some other options you can try here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=14727
Good to know. I believe I was letting FileZilla connect with a default port (which I'm guessing is 21). I'll try it with 22 next time I need to change something!