Noob screws the pooch :opps:

Connect with other users about what to run on your webhosting (and how to run it) here.
mthatdan
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Noob screws the pooch :opps:

Post by mthatdan »

it seemed simple enough to update phpbb from 3.2.0 to 3.2.4
I downloaded the auto update packaged, unzipped it and copied the install and vendor folder in to the root

That's when things went bad. instructions tell me "In your browser go to http://www.example.com/yourforum/install"

I can't seem to point my browser there without getting some sort of error.

my normal forum address is http://the20thvfw.site.nfoservers.com/forums/

but I'm trying to get to the phpbb root @ usr/www/the20thvfw/public/forums/install but cannot.

Any one can point me in the right directions? Much appreciated.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Noob screws the pooch :opps:

Post by Edge100x »

If you copied over just the install and vendor folders, I'd recommend deleting the "install" folder and then restoring "vendor" from the most recent backup (using the Backups tool in the control panel) to get back to where you started.

After that, your board should be back to the way it was, and you can try again. Things you could try:

- Extracting from the .bz2 version locally on the webserver (using the shell), instead of doing it on your client machine and then uploading those folders
- Disabling custom templates or other customizations temporarily while you perform the update, and then updating them separately before re-enabling them
- A different upgrade mechanism, such as 'Patch files'
mthatdan
New to forums
New to forums

Post by mthatdan »

Edge100x wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:18 pm If you copied over just the install and vendor folders, I'd recommend deleting the "install" folder and then restoring "vendor" from the most recent backup (using the Backups tool in the control panel) to get back to where you started.

After that, your board should be back to the way it was, and you can try again. ...
Copying over the install and vendor folders is exactly what I did.
I did as you've recommended, "deleting the "install" folder and then restored the "vendor" folder using nfo control panel.
unfortunately, i did't get back to where I started. :(

When I try to access my forum page, I get the following;

Code: Select all

Fatal error: Uncaught ReflectionException: Class phpbb\cache\driver\file does not exist in /usr/www/the20thvfw/public/forums/vendor/symfony/dependency-injection/ContainerBuilder.php:926 Stack trace: #0 /usr/www/the20thvfw/public/forums/vendor/symfony/dependency-injection/ContainerBuilder.php(926): ReflectionClass->__construct('phpbb\\cache\\dri...') #1 /usr/www/the20thvfw/public/forums/vendor/symfony/dependency-injection/ContainerBuilder.php(468): Symfony\Component\DependencyInjection\ContainerBuilder->createService(Object(Symfony\Component\DependencyInjection\Definition), 'cache.driver') #2 /usr/www/the20thvfw/public/forums/common.php(132): Symfony\Component\DependencyInjection\ContainerBuilder->get('cache.driver') #3 /usr/www/the20thvfw/public/forums/index.php(23): include('/usr/www/the20t...') #4 {main} thrown in /usr/www/the20thvfw/public/forums/vendor/symfony/dependency-injection/ContainerBuilder.php on line 926
Don't know if this is a hint but, when I look at folder dates, they are all 1/7/2017 except:
/cache - 11/29/2018
/files - 10/12/2018 and
/store - 8/8/2018

hopefully, this helps, I would be so glad to get back to where I was
TIA
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

A cache may be tripping you up, in that case. Try clearing out the "cache" folder and seeing if that helps.
mthatdan
New to forums
New to forums

Post by mthatdan »

sorted by doing the full package update rather than the upgrade.

in the end, I believe you were correct with the cache being the culprit.

I tell you, i was sweating bullets but, all is well now.

Thank you so much for chiming in with help.