phpBB update problems

Connect with other users about what to run on your webhosting (and how to run it) here.
Mango
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

phpBB update problems

Post by Mango »

Dear helpful people,

When updating files in my file transfer program, it seems I'm denied permissions for directory renames. So far I've been updating by manually replacing files. Is this permission supposed to be restricted or am I able to request for it?

Thanks for your help!
Mango
New to forums
New to forums

Re: phpBB update problems

Post by Mango »

I have to change my claim, it's near impossible to manually move every file hahaha....

Also the errors that I'm getting are the 550-permission denied- just to clarify.

The client I'm currently using is Filezilla because I'm restricted to a mac for a few days, apologies if this is something WinSCP has no problem with.
Mango
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Mango »

I need to apologize for the triple post, I've tried it on a WinSCP just now and it appears that I'm getting the same permission based restriction:

General failure (server should provide error description).
Error code: 4
Error message from server: Failure

Common reasons for the Error code 4 are:
- Renaming a file to a name of already existing file.
- Creating a directory that already exists.
- Moving a remote file to a different filesystem (HDD).
- Uploading a file to a full filesystem (HDD).
- Exceeding a user disk quota.

Sorry again for the triple posting.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

What is the command that you are running which gives an error?
Mango
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Mango »

Thanks for getting back to me!

If it was a command, I'm assuming it would be the renaming command?

I'm dragging and dropping directories from the newest phpbb over to my existing phpbb3.2.2 files. The actual directories wont replace the old ones (error on filezilla said I dont have renaming permissions and WinSCP says what I posted previously. so the files in them dont move. Also all my ssc commands run fine.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Unfortunately the error is generic, so I was looking for a more specific command that it was trying and failing.

I would recommend opening up SSH and extracting the files from there. You would generally do this by:

1. Uploading the .bz2 version of the automatic phpbb updater to the root of your phpbb folder (the one containing "vendor").
2. Opening up an SSH window, using the same login information (generally through putty).
3. Changing to the same phpbb folder through SSH (the command "cd public/forums" will work if you used the default location).
4. Extracting the file with a command such as "tar xvf phpBB-3.2.4_to_3.2.5.tar.bz2" (replace the filename with the one matching what you uploaded).
5. Opening up your board's URL with the install/ folder added to it in your browser and completing the upgrade as described in their guide.
Mango
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Mango »

I will do that! Thanks for the help and patience. I'll be sure to provide better details in the future.