vBulletin, anyone using it here

Connect with other users about what to run on your webhosting (and how to run it) here.
OmnipotentSAdmin
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

vBulletin, anyone using it here

Post by OmnipotentSAdmin »

1. Can we host vBulletin on the NFO site? Is anyone doing that?
2. vBulletin does cost, is there an "open source" alternative that's compatible? There's an existing forum we have that we want to migrate to new hosting but we don't want to lose all the historical posts.

TIA
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: vBulletin, anyone using it here

Post by Naleksuh »

I can't really confirm this because the software costs money but by the system requirements it seems like it should work.

If you're looking for a free software, phpBB is a software that works with NFo hosting (these forums run that same software, and there's an auoinstaller for it)
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

OmnipotentSAdmin wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:44 pm There's an existing forum we have that we want to migrate to new hosting but we don't want to lose all the historical posts.
Migrating old posts typically just means migrating the database over, but the forum software needs to be compatible. Are you specifically using vBulletin now? If so, aren't you able to transfer your license over, or the domain it is tied to?
TimeX
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Naleksuh »

"Migrating old posts typically just means migrating the database over, but the forum software needs to be compatible. "

I believe OP means migrating to a new software, which would require some type of conversion for the data, depending on the new software chosen.
Vanderburg
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Vanderburg »

Many forum software packages will offer scripts for importing data from the other most popular software, like vBulletin, or SMF, etc, it's just a matter of finding those scripts. The developer of the software you are wanting to use would be the best place to look for those.
OmnipotentSAdmin
New to forums
New to forums

Post by OmnipotentSAdmin »

Yes its vBulletin now.

I am working with the current owner to get the database, as they own the license (not sure its transferable).

The only reason for vBulletin is that's what it runs now, I'd love to migrate it over to something that doesn't cost extra $$$.
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Naleksuh »

Understood, as said before there are likely other forum softwares that will suit your needs. It should be possible to convert the posts and data over as well, as the license won't really matter once you're not using it anymore.
GodOfWonders
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by GodOfWonders »

I had to do this when I transferred from IPB over to myBB. The cost of the license was just getting to be to much so I had to find a free software to migrate to. I will say this about migrating, as was stated there are utilities for Opensource CMS software that will convert VBulletin over to that software. However a lot of times those can be out of date or lag behind a licensed software. Those utilities depend on someone with a license coding them with the current version. Most of them will get most of the job done but sometimes they will not successfully convert them fully over. My suggestion is to download a copy of the current database and then make a duplicate of that and convert it over. When I converted from IPB to myBB the utility transferred the entire database to the new system but didn't convert some of the values over correctly because myBB didn't utilize those values in their system and it kept throwing errors. So I had to go into the database directly and change values manually for the database to fully show up on the new system.

It is very possible to do but like I said, I highly encourage making 2 copies of the database you want to convert so you don't potentially lose what you're trying to save. Sometimes it's as simple as running the utility and you're good but sometimes you run into manual edits on conversions and I would just suggest being prepared for that.