adding .htpassword to my root of my web folder

Connect with other users about what to run on your webhosting (and how to run it) here.
ClanPikachu
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

adding .htpassword to my root of my web folder

Post by ClanPikachu »

how do I add .htpassword to my root or "home" folder of my website? for example my www address is http://fallenangels.nuclearfallout.net what is the address to the home folder? or root folder?

-[LAPD]-Pikachu
Los Angeles California USA Game Server Administrator
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

ClanPikachu
A regular
A regular

Post by ClanPikachu »

Edge100x wrote:We discuss this here: http://rentals.nuclearfallout.net/rent. ... hosting#15
ok so i went there and created the htaccess now i'm having difficulty understanding the htpasswd file

this is what you all said:

Next, open up Notepad again with a new document. For each person you want to have access to your password-protected directory, you must add the following line:

LOGIN_NAME:HASHED_PASSWORD
LOGIN_NAME represents the name they will use to login, such as "Bob". HASHED_PASSWORD is the password you want them to have, which has been run through a special filter to change it to a different form. To apply the filter, visit this page and type in the password to give them. It will output what the password hashes to; copy that string (everything after the colon on the first line, including any periods or other odd characters) into Notepad as HASHED_PASSWORD.

lets say i want to give a user name of peter a password of justin3000 i go to your password link to get the hash and it gives me QWd.5KSNB5nho so my line in htpasswd looks like this

peter:QWd.5KSNB5nho

is this line correct? cause after doing this and uploading it to the directory it asks me for a password and keeps telling me the password of justin3000 is incorrect and prompts me again to put in a valid password. what is the exact verbage with the above user name and password do i need in the .htpasswd file do I need?

-[LAPD]-Pikachu
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

That line is correct.

Make sure this line in .htaccess matches the path and filename of your .htpasswd file:

AuthUserFile /usr/www/USERNAME/DIRECTORY_TO_PROTECT/.htpasswd

USERNAME is the same username you use to log in through the FTP to the webspace.
ClanPikachu
A regular
A regular

Post by ClanPikachu »

ok this is what I have in my .htaccess file:

# Access file
order allow,deny
allow from all
require valid-user
Authname "Forum Administration for Pikachu"
Authtype Basic
AuthUserFile /usr/www/clanpikachu/pikachu/.htpasswd

the folder pikachu is right off the root of the ftp i placed the .htpasswd and the .htaccess file directly into the pikachu folder now when i access this folder it asks for a user name and password but does not accept whata I type in. what am I doing wrong?

-[LAPD]-Pikachu
ClanPikachu
A regular
A regular

Post by ClanPikachu »

never mind I got it . Thanks guys :)

-[LAPD]-Pikachu
gafoob
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Re:

Post by gafoob »

ClanPikachu wrote:never mind I got it . Thanks guys :)

What was the solution? Seems nobody has posted one