[MySQL] Create a user for specific database?

Connect with other users about what to run on your webhosting (and how to run it) here.
evil_master
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

[MySQL] Create a user for specific database?

Post by evil_master »

Hello, I come to you with a general inquiry. I run a medium sized (large for the game) community for Team Fortress Classic and I would like to allow my admins access to one of my databases for better control over admins/bans/skillranks and other things provided through SQL from my gameservers, however I am not comfortable giving them access to ALL of the databases or giving them the main account (even though its already accesible to them if they do some digging through configs) so my question is, would it be possible at all (if not now, in the future?) to add the ability to create users per-database? I understand if this is not available because of security restrictions, but I am sure I'm not alone in thinking it would be better to have a seperate user for each database, so if one database is compromised, all of them cannot be accessed and then destroyed/deleted/defaced/etc.
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Re: [MySQL] Create a user for specific database?

Post by TimeX »

This isn't something that is currently possible. I'm not sure what plans there are for this in the future, but maybe. It would likely be some time before the option is added, though, if it is added.
TimeX
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by IcEWoLF »

It's possible if You have cPanel, unfortunately NFo doesn't provide that.

I'd suggest looking for a provider that offers cPanel or get an unmanaged vps here and buy a vps cPanel license...the first option would be cheaper.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Our webhosting was intentionally created without this, because each account is meant to be run by an individual. This design also means that it doesn't come with multiple FTP accounts. By making different users need to get their own accounts, we have been able to maintain an ultra-low price point (it's even free with game servers).

Multiple database and FTP user accounts are a feature that I have considered as part of a general adjustment to the webhosting system that adds higher-priced options. For the most part, I've chosen to focus energies on our core offerings (game servers, voice servers, and VDSes) instead, so the webhosting has not seen this added yet.

cPanel will not become an option here at the lowest price level because of its cost. I also don't anticipate making it an add-on, as it would be complicated to try to integrate with our control panel, and it would take less time to implement any features that we may be missing in-house. For power users who want to run large sites or sell their own webhosting, it might be a good choice, though.

With an unmanaged VDS, you could easily run your own database (without a control panel) and set up multiple users. I would not recommend licensing cPanel if you are just running databases.