Dedicated server price reduction

News for the main page
Edge100x
Founder
Founder
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Dedicated server price reduction

Post by Edge100x »

We've reduced dedicated server prices a bit across the board this morning, and we've also added the E3-1271v3 configuration option for a few locations where we already have these machines in place. (If you need one at another location, please ask us about it.)

If you have a dedicated server with us already, make sure to contact us so that we can examine the package and apply the new pricing for you!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Dedicated server price reduction

Post by Edge100x »

If you just paid for a dedicated machine in the last week or so, please also let us know, and we'll credit you back the difference for this month. We know it's always frustrating to have prices go down immediately after you pay.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

This is great!

Thanks again for providing awesome service at great prices!
Not a NFO employee
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

Good Lord, I am salivating. You're making it very difficult for me not to pull the trigger and drop my VDS for a dedicated box. I honestly don't know how you do it. I have priced those CPU and mother boards on Newegg.

At this stage of the game, is Win 2012 the better option for the OS? Or do you still recommend the 2008 R2?
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Still heavily recommend 2008R2.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I recommend Windows 2008 R2 partially because Windows 2012 R2 does not seem to offer higher performance, and we've seen some issues with it not booting properly on VDSes. They're not a whole lot different, though, in terms of game server applications (both are compatible with all games, both have the same poor firewall, but have the same type of remote administration, etc).

The main reason to go with Windows 2012 R2 would be if you use IIS, as it includes a newer IIS version that may work better for certain web applications.
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

Hmmm is there a reason why the E3-1271v3 is not in New York? You said you have them at a few places already. Does that mean they are already installed and ready to go? Which would mean almost instant setup?

I'm asking since I'm considering a move from Atlanta to New York. They are listed in Atlanta but not New York. If you have it ready to go in Atlanta, then I might just stay there instead.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

They are in place but need to be re-imaged as necessary to meet customer needs.

NYC needs additional hardware right now to expand the offering to that location.

We're fairly tight on inventory when it comes to those E3-1271s, more generally. I wanted to push out the discount mostly to help existing customers with E3-1270s to refinance and save some money; I put the E3-1271 option on the page both for completeness (since we do have some and all new machine orders will be E3-1271s) and because some customers have been asking about them.
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

How would the E3-1271 setup compare to a VDS 8core in the same location? I know that there is no overhead from virtualization, but is the performance of the E3-1271 4 core still better than an 8core VDS?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

It depends on the workload. In terms of just straight computation, the VDS is likely better, because the VDS machines are quite underloaded and the HT cores assigned to you will likely not have CPU-intensive neighbors. But, if your application is sensitive to individual-core performance, or if it's one that performs poorly when virtualized, then a full machine would work best. The cores on an E3-1271v3 full machine will run faster than those on any VDS-hosting machine, and you won't have to worry about any overhead.

I like the firewall and flexibility of VDSes, along with their lower price point. If I had something that is already running well on a VDS, I'd stick with that.
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

I went ahead and placed the order, so let the "re-imaging" commence. I would like to have a NS2 server again as well, and I know that server alone prefers not to be on a VDS environment.
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

The order page says it takes 2-9 business days to get a server online depending on what it costs to ship the server to the datacenter. Since it was already in place in Atlanta where I ordered, does this help to expedite the setup process? Or am I still looking at a week+ for it to be online?

Mainly I want to be sure it is operational before I have to pay for another month on my VDS. I want to transfer things from the VDS to the new box, and will need a bit of time to do it. :|
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

TacTicToe wrote:The order page says it takes 2-9 business days to get a server online depending on what it costs to ship the server to the datacenter. Since it was already in place in Atlanta where I ordered, does this help to expedite the setup process? Or am I still looking at a week+ for it to be online?

Mainly I want to be sure it is operational before I have to pay for another month on my VDS. I want to transfer things from the VDS to the new box, and will need a bit of time to do it. :|
Open a ticket if your VDS is about to be up for payment and ask to have it extended for a couple days while your dedi is being setup.
Not a NFO employee