Dedicated machine price reduction

News for the main page
Edge100x
Founder
Founder
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Dedicated machine price reduction

Post by Edge100x »

We've dropped prices on most dedicated machine options by $20 a month today!

If you have a dedicated server with us already, make sure to contact us so that we can examine the package and apply the new pricing for you.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Dedicated machine price reduction

Post by Edge100x »

If you just paid for a dedicated machine in the last week or so, please also let us know, and we'll credit you back the difference for this month. We know it's always frustrating to have prices go down immediately after you pay.
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

Amazing. Thanks John.

Ticket sent!
Decicus
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by Decicus »

How long are you guys planning to keep the price like this?
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Decicus wrote:How long are you guys planning to keep the price like this?
Based on previous dedi price reductions, its permanent.
Not a NFO employee
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

The dedi price reductions are expected to be permanent -- that part is a straight price drop and not a sale. The free setup fee in NYC is a sale and will be temporary.
Decicus
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by Decicus »

Edge100x wrote:The dedi price reductions are expected to be permanent -- that part is a straight price drop and not a sale. The free setup fee in NYC is a sale and will be temporary.
Understood. Thanks!
stickz

Post by stickz »

It's nice to see the prices of dedicated climbing down abit!

Alto, it's definitely the ram and bandwidth you're paying for, not the computing power. It would be nice to see some more costly friendly options in there. Some like myself for instance, could use 80% of the computing power easy without going over 15% of the ram and bandwidth. You're kind of screwed on virtualized when more computing power is required and games/voices aren't supported.

This might be insane, by my best configuration would likely be this.

E3-1271 v3 (slighly stronger) or E3-1270v3 (half the chip cost)
4gb of ram
240gb ssd
4tb of bandwidth
Operating System: Linux

I would how much something like this would cost if implemented properly.
stickz

Post by stickz »

Edit: 120gb SSD. (thanks for expiring edit, so annoying)

Edit2: Can't even fix sentence fragments. #Expired.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Overtime and as customer needs change we'll definitely change up our dedicated server options, though, right now what we have is pretty robust and can meet the needs of most customers at a solid price point.

Though, to clarify on the specific configuration you want. It really wouldn't be that much cheaper. The reasoning is mainly due to ram being a limiting factor in price(no reason you should limit yourself there) and bandwidth is billed in such a way that we pretty much pay for it whether it's used or not.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
stickz

Post by stickz »

kraze wrote:The reasoning is mainly due to ram being a limiting factor in price(no reason you should limit yourself there) and bandwidth is billed in such a way that we pretty much pay for it whether it's used or not.
Would you be surprised if my operating system uses less than 75mb of ram; Or my four servers only ever reach 400mb (less than 2gb total) when their leaking memory? You likely wouldn't because your managed Linux configuration uses a custom compiled Gentoo kernel as well because it's faster and more efficient.

And source engine servers? If they are populated 24/7 with 30 players that's only 1TB per server. I like to crank my rates up so high it overloads some of your congested carriers. It would be a complete joke if I ever reached 4TB. (excluding my custom fastdl which should be hosted elsewhere)

Not everyone is a massive buyer which needs tons of gigs for minecraft. I got a friend who's hosting four source engine servers on one of your deadies which is so funny. It's so old the power supply popped in the DC, and was intended for years ago when Nehalem was used for VDSes.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Stickz, please take this as a friendly warning. Your recent post on this forum have been crossing a line and are becoming antagonizing. You're more then welcome to interact with the community, share your opinions and even provide criticism, but you need to be mindful of how you do so as it can easily come across wrong.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
stickz

Post by stickz »

How much would it cost you guys to implement the following configuration in Chicago? This is useful for high population and competitive 128 tick servers. My guess would be $40 bellow your current lowest.

4 cores of i7-4790K (4.0ghz base, 4.4ghz turbo)
8gb of DDR3-1600 ram
240gb Intel SSD
8TB of Bandwidth (or 95th percentile billing)
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

We do not use consumer based processors here, so we would be unable to add this type of package. Our packages are designed in a way to meet a wide range of needs, and due to this it is not possible to offer custom configurations. Offering custom configurations actually ends up being more expensive since we're not setup to do so. Custom machines also become useless to us after a customer has cancelled since we can't immediately re-purpose the machine for internal use. This means we must pay to ship it back to the office and rebuild it to a standard configuration or send parts and have the on-site tech do it(which is very expensive). Either way, it's not feasible for us to do.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

We have a limited number of dedicated server configurations that are designed to fit the needs of a majority of clients. This allows us to keep costs down, because we don't have as much custom hardware sitting idle and don't have to spend extra money having remote contract staff swapping out parts.

The E3-1270v3 and E3-1271v3 are about the same price, new. We have not bought new E3-1270v3 processors for quite some time because of this.

RAM is not expensive.

To be reliable, machines need to be rackmount, use ECC, and not use consumer-grade equipment. They need to be remotely accessible through IPMI.

There is a low demand for lower-end dedicated server configurations because the VDS options fill that niche very well.

If you strongly believe that you can offer a better deal to people on dedicated servers than we do, I encourage you to buy colocation space at a remote facility, buy Internap bandwidth, buy hardware and have it installed, build a website, and offer your preferred packages. You will find that it is much more complicated than you think, that there are a lot of hidden costs, and that the decisions we have made actually make a great deal of sense. We have been offering dedicated servers for a very long time and there have been a lot of lessons learned about how to do it right.

There are good reasons why few companies offer dedicated server packages that are less expensive than ours. A significant number of other providers are also just direct resellers of another company's servers.