VDSes get more bandwidth at lower prices

News for the main page
stickz
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:06 am

Re: VDSes get more bandwidth at lower prices

Post by stickz » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:39 pm

Would it make sense to subsidize the Windows licensing costs in a more equitable way, so it doesn't hurt people running lower core counts, nearly as much? Higher core discounts could still be retained! And users running Linux wouldn't be unaffected, if this suggested model was implemented!

Possible model for Windows pricing
One core -Revert back to single-core Linux only
Two to Four core - $10 for Windows
Six core -$12.50 for Windows
Eight core -$15 for Windows
Ten core plus -$20 for Windows

User avatar
MasterSeal
A regular
A regular
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:47 pm
Location: Nebraska, USA
Contact:

Re: VDSes get more bandwidth at lower prices

Post by MasterSeal » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:00 pm

stickz wrote:Would it make sense to subsidize the Windows licensing costs in a more equitable way, so it doesn't hurt people running lower core counts, nearly as much? Higher core discounts could still be retained! And users running Linux wouldn't be unaffected, if this suggested model was implemented!

Possible model for Windows pricing
One core -Revert back to single-core Linux only
Two to Four core - $10 for Windows
Six core -$12.50 for Windows
Eight core -$15 for Windows
Ten core plus -$20 for Windows

yeah.. an extra $11 a month for a 2 core 2 gig ram of windows is nuts. now you're the same cost as many competitors. :( also an extra $7 for managed 4 core.
Relax, Reflect, RELOAD!
(Out Cast Snipers)
Jizzcord: discord.OutCastSnipers.com
Teamsqueak 3: ts3.OutCastSnipers.com

Image

User avatar
MasterSeal
A regular
A regular
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:47 pm
Location: Nebraska, USA
Contact:

Re: VDSes get more bandwidth at lower prices

Post by MasterSeal » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:48 pm

It'sRandinator wrote: I have to say that NFO has the best pricing per specs for vds/vps and dedi servers.
Not anymore. oh well all good things must come to an end.
on a lighter note they still have the best performance and pricing for stand-alone game servers.
Relax, Reflect, RELOAD!
(Out Cast Snipers)
Jizzcord: discord.OutCastSnipers.com
Teamsqueak 3: ts3.OutCastSnipers.com

Image

User avatar
kraze
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4357
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:06 am
Location: California

Re: VDSes get more bandwidth at lower prices

Post by kraze » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:13 pm

Our VDS's are still a really good deal! A lot of companies don't offer dedicated resources like we do, and the few that do are generally more expensive. For the ones which aren't you'll find the type of machine running those servers and the network behind it is not even comparable. Once you add in the DDoS mitigation and support it becomes even better.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!

User avatar
MasterSeal
A regular
A regular
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:47 pm
Location: Nebraska, USA
Contact:

Re: VDSes get more bandwidth at lower prices

Post by MasterSeal » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:11 pm

Good selling points.

D
Relax, Reflect, RELOAD!
(Out Cast Snipers)
Jizzcord: discord.OutCastSnipers.com
Teamsqueak 3: ts3.OutCastSnipers.com

Image

User avatar
MasterSeal
A regular
A regular
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:47 pm
Location: Nebraska, USA
Contact:

Re: VDSes get more bandwidth at lower prices

Post by MasterSeal » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:08 pm

Would it be possible to add MANAGED capability to a 2-3 CPU/CORE LINUX server since they require less resources to run programs VS the windows heavy resource comparison"?

like say

Linux 2 core (pick the os as long as it's linux) and do a managed. This way customers that are not Linux savvy like me could have and run a managed server at a lower price-point. I'm certain there are other small clan owners who might benefit from this other than myself.

D
Relax, Reflect, RELOAD!
(Out Cast Snipers)
Jizzcord: discord.OutCastSnipers.com
Teamsqueak 3: ts3.OutCastSnipers.com

Image

$atanic $pirit
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:32 am

Re: VDSes get more bandwidth at lower prices

Post by $atanic $pirit » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:01 am

DJF-1975 wrote:Would it be possible to add MANAGED capability to a 2-3 CPU/CORE LINUX server since they require less resources to run programs VS the windows heavy resource comparison"?

like say

Linux 2 core (pick the os as long as it's linux) and do a managed. This way customers that are not Linux savvy like me could have and run a managed server at a lower price-point. I'm certain there are other small clan owners who might benefit from this other than myself.

D

Working on Linux is really easy once you get the hold of the basics. Hit me up, if you need any help.
Image

User avatar
MasterSeal
A regular
A regular
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:47 pm
Location: Nebraska, USA
Contact:

Re: VDSes get more bandwidth at lower prices

Post by MasterSeal » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:22 am

$atanic $pirit wrote: Working on Linux is really easy once you get the hold of the basics. Hit me up, if you need any help.
Very nice of you. I might just do that. Thanks!

D

side note: To be fair to you guys (NFO) If this helps keep your overhead down and in business, it's not all THAT bad ;)
Relax, Reflect, RELOAD!
(Out Cast Snipers)
Jizzcord: discord.OutCastSnipers.com
Teamsqueak 3: ts3.OutCastSnipers.com

Image

User avatar
kraze
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4357
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:06 am
Location: California

Re: VDSes get more bandwidth at lower prices

Post by kraze » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:21 pm

DJF-1975 wrote:Would it be possible to add MANAGED capability to a 2-3 CPU/CORE LINUX server since they require less resources to run programs VS the windows heavy resource comparison"?

like say

Linux 2 core (pick the os as long as it's linux) and do a managed. This way customers that are not Linux savvy like me could have and run a managed server at a lower price-point. I'm certain there are other small clan owners who might benefit from this other than myself.

D
Having a minimum requirement for managed servers is another way we help subsidize the cost of doing so, since we put much more work into managed services. The core requirement has also increased over time due to game requirements increasing. To keep things simple and ensure all managed VDS's are capable of running most modern games we increased the core requirement, This was also about the time we added in managed VDS's to our performance guarantee too.
DJF-1975 wrote:
side note: To be fair to you guys (NFO) If this helps keep your overhead down and in business, it's not all THAT bad ;)
We appreciate that! A lot people also forget that we routinely lower VDS pricing. I think we do roughly 2-3 permanent price drops per year on virtuals that many people take for granted. I think we're the only company in the market which consistently lowers prices, and even grandfathers them in, it really won't be long before you're paying less then you were before.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!

$atanic $pirit
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:32 am

Re: VDSes get more bandwidth at lower prices

Post by $atanic $pirit » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:23 am

DJF-1975 does have a valid point here.

Maybe NFO do need to offer managed service on a lower core requirement than windows managed. Limiting everything to one IP, and a managed service for a Linux 2-3 core VDS can be attractive to customers, but at same time keeping the cost for NFO in check as well. Given that the performance guarantee have to be voided in this case, but its a good middle ground to retain the customers who are mad at Windows price hike. After all the only people who would complain are the ones running lower tier packages and to them windows cost is not justified.
Image

stickz
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:06 am

Re: VDSes get more bandwidth at lower prices

Post by stickz » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:30 pm

$atanic $pirit wrote:DJF-1975 does have a valid point here.

Maybe NFO do need to offer managed service on a lower core requirement than windows managed. Limiting everything to one IP,
Is is true that the consumption of multiple IPV4 addresses is why managed isn't offered on lower core counts? There's always been issues with overlapping ports for various reasons; but if larger ranges are defined, these never come into effect. For instance, I run game servers on 27015, 27017, 27025 and 27030.

User avatar
kraze
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4357
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:06 am
Location: California

Re: VDSes get more bandwidth at lower prices

Post by kraze » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:44 pm

Managed virtual servers being limited to a single IP is something that is coming. For obvious reasons this change is coming slowly as our system was never designed to support this, so it's complicated to rework everything. I imagine we'll continue allowing separate IP addresses for managed systems, but the standard IP cost will apply.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!

doulos9
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
Posts: 187
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:44 pm

Re: VDSes get more bandwidth at lower prices

Post by doulos9 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:30 pm

I have had VDS' at 2 other companies and neither of them ever lowered their prices - though, periodially they would offer more resources for the same price and make that retroactive.

nevar
New to forums
New to forums
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:53 pm

Re: VDSes get more bandwidth at lower prices

Post by nevar » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:29 pm

kraze wrote:
We appreciate that! A lot people also forget that we routinely lower VDS pricing. I think we do roughly 2-3 permanent price drops per year on virtuals that many people take for granted. I think we're the only company in the market which consistently lowers prices, and even grandfathers them in, it really won't be long before you're paying less then you were before.
I have a mostly positive experience with NFO and the offerings that John provides for my community. I've been feeding this group money since January 2012 without any hesitations but I still have some reservations. I've seen some price drops the last few years but I wouldn't go as far as to say that nearly every quarter you have price drop. That brings me to the fact that you guys only display a price drop notification on the website. I might not visit the site for weeks or even months at a time so the notification didn't benefit me. As my memory serves me last year I had overpaid due to a price decrease by 3 months before I had noticed. Why not send out an email notification of such good news if you don't want existing customers to take benefit?

I also paid more for the same services (cpu,memory, and extra webhosting) that NFO offered me in Altanta when I decided to make a switch to the Chicago this past weekend. I was told "we're not able to offer a lower price on our Windows cost we've added." That's great, I switch my service to a more reliable upstream since internap in Atlanta is having verifiable issues. I will end up eating this lose like my misfortune last year.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13992&p=71486&hilit ... nap#p71486

User avatar
kraze
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4357
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:06 am
Location: California

Re: VDSes get more bandwidth at lower prices

Post by kraze » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:01 pm

nevar wrote:
kraze wrote:
We appreciate that! A lot people also forget that we routinely lower VDS pricing. I think we do roughly 2-3 permanent price drops per year on virtuals that many people take for granted. I think we're the only company in the market which consistently lowers prices, and even grandfathers them in, it really won't be long before you're paying less then you were before.
I have a mostly positive experience with NFO and the offerings that John provides for my community. I've been feeding this group money since January 2012 without any hesitations but I still have some reservations. I've seen some price drops the last few years but I wouldn't go as far as to say that nearly every quarter you have price drop. That brings me to the fact that you guys only display a price drop notification on the website. I might not visit the site for weeks or even months at a time so the notification didn't benefit me. As my memory serves me last year I had overpaid due to a price decrease by 3 months before I had noticed. Why not send out an email notification of such good news if you don't want existing customers to take benefit?
The discounts was more of a rough estimate, though we do run a decent amount of sales/price drops per year and our sales generally last a long time too. We're also generally pretty good about posting about sales/discounts to social media, but sometimes they are missed, overall not a huge deal. We definitely encourage customers to check the site/forums often, but in reality you can easily get away with checking it once a month. If you're a customer here you're already probably doing that anyways. Notifying customers of sales/discounts via email is generally not something we do, we have never been a company which spams people's email, and most prefer not to receive these types of emails, even if they are beneficial.

It's important to note here that you never overpaid for a service. You chose a specific package at a specific price, and that price is yours as long as you want it since we grandfather in orders. If we make an overall price change customers can choose to opt into the new price or keep what they originally had. Automatically adjusting pricing is not a good thing, and many customers would be confused/angered by this.
nevar wrote: I also paid more for the same services (cpu,memory, and extra webhosting) that NFO offered me in Altanta when I decided to make a switch to the Chicago this past weekend. I was told "we're not able to offer a lower price on our Windows cost we've added." That's great, I switch my service to a more reliable upstream since internap in Atlanta is having verifiable issues. I will end up eating this lose like my misfortune last year.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13992&p=71486&hilit ... nap#p71486
What issues are you having in Atlanta? Atlanta was given a massive upgrade by Internap several weeks back that should have just about eliminated all issues.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!

Locked