Left4dead

News for the main page
Edge100x
Founder
Founder
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Left4dead

Post by Edge100x »

Valve released the L4D demo and its dedicated server today, along with several adjustments over the course of the day to fix server problems. Now that servers can run, we have added this option to our order page.

The demo supports only 4 players, although the full game should support 8 in versus mode (4 survivors and 4 player zombies). We have initially priced four-player demo servers at a base of only $9.99 (at most locations). These servers use a significant amount of RAM and CPU and we will be monitoring the load they cause on our network; we may need to adjust the price upwards later.

As it currently ships, the game supports only an automatic matchmaking mode and does not allow players to join servers directly. This can be changed by setting sv_allow_lobby_connect_only to 0 in the server.cfg file, and we have done this for our servers by default. The Left 4 dead demo does not currently support password protection, so private servers (as we normally define them) are not possible. And, even though it's Source-based, L4D does not appear to support a tickrate of higher than the default of 30, so we can't accelerate these.
DontWannaName
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Left4dead

Post by DontWannaName »

Ok sounds good to me. How come when you add a vent server with the game server it costs more than buying it by itself? If I buy the vent server first then L4D, do I get 10% off of L4D when I buy it after. A dollar off ftw :D
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

You're right, I'll need to work on updating that add-on vent pricing. It's not really designed for servers smaller than 12 players right now.
DontWannaName
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by DontWannaName »

Ok, my next question is when L4D comes out with 14 players, do you get the free vent server or can you get a vent now and change it to free later.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Valve has stated that L4D will only support 8 players in versus mode for the full version -- 4 humans and 4 zombies. If it does end up supporting 12 or more players, the vent server would become free when you upgrade the server to that size.
Fumette
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Fumette »

Any news on servers for Full Release(tonight)?

I would love to get one up as soon as possible.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

We will have the full version available as soon as possible after the release. Most likely this will mean less than an hour (we're typically very quick with game releases and updates).
DontWannaName
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by DontWannaName »

How will updating to 14 slots work and changing perhaps the network, premium to regular?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

There's been no official talk of 14 (or 12) slot servers that I have seen, just 8 slot ones. If 12 or 14 slot servers are allowed, we will add those to the order page and allow the upgrade in the normal fashion. The location can also be changed normally.