Ticketing system test

News for the main page
Edge100x
Founder
Founder
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Ticketing system test

Post by Edge100x »

We're testing a ticketing system now, because over the years we have become very frustrated with the limitations of chat-based systems. Among other factors:

- Our replies have to be fast with chat, so we can't take as much time to truly investigate an issue or formulate a well-worded response.

- Chat is highly susceptible to network connection problems that can interrupt the conversation and make either a support staffer or a renter think that the other party intentionally disconnected.

- Chat does not allow for short breaks, such as to use the bathroom. A staffmember has to log out if he or she needs to step away from the computer.

- Chat does not allow for follow-ups, forcing us to use email, which can be unreliable as well (because of spam filters and problems with ISPs). We also don't have a way of notifying a customer through the control panel when he or she has been sent an email.

- Chat doesn't allow easy escalation of problems. If a staffmember can't answer a particular question and another one who can answer is on break or not logged in to chat, we have to switch to another medium, such as email.

- It's difficult to handle multiple customers at a time with chat. Each customer experiences a significant lag in response time, and juggling multiple issues at once leads to each one taking much longer.

- Chat attempts made outside of our normal hours go to email, which doesn't work well (due to the email limitations mentioned above).

Support ticketing solves each of these problems elegantly.

Right now, our support staff will still work the same hours, so you will continue to see lightning fast responses at just about any time, day or night. As we continue to test, we may also be able to extend hours further by providing staff with breaks during the day; ticketing allows for this, unlike chat.

Feedback on new features is always welcome -- please let us know what you think!
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Ticketing system test

Post by rustydusty1717 »

Sounds good to me. I'll be sure to input what I come up with.
AstroZombie
A regular
A regular

Post by AstroZombie »

You aren't getting rid of chat altogether though are you? This is one feature of NFO that separates you from your competitors, and the most helpful aspects of NFO's support structure. I do like the idea of a ticketing system augmenting the chat aspect of NFO support.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

It's complicated to do both at the same, and Live chat has a huge amount of pain associated with it, but we'll be considering multiple scenarios and watching to see how well the ticketing system turns out.

We started out just offering email support here at NFO, and we've never offered phone support (as some of our competitors do). I actually think chat was a bit of a step backward and towards our competitors in a negative way, because email (and now a ticket) allows so much better responses.

Ticketing systems have somewhat of a bad reputation because many large companies don't use them very well -- just as VPS systems have gotten a bad reputation for game servers because many ordinary VPS providers overload their servers. I think that when you see ticketing done properly here (with immediate, thorough responses), you'll be pleasantly surprised. (Please do let me know what you think after you try it, though.)
Mike Rowe
A regular
A regular

Post by Mike Rowe »

I prefer to use tickets so good news
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by IcEWoLF »

As long as the ticket system is not slow to get any replies, IE: 24-48 hours, I all in for it.
I know NFo, they are great.
AstroZombie
A regular
A regular

Post by AstroZombie »

My experience with phone support from other GSPs was less than stellar. Actually horrible, as they never had the answer and always recommended I put in a ticket that got answered at the earliest in 2 to 3 days. Oh well...
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

Personally, I've never had any serious problems, but even minor software issues, John replied on these forums within an hour or two, max. I'm sure if John is wanting to do something different, it's only to improve the server. Which in my mind, is already stellar.
AstroZombie
A regular
A regular

Post by AstroZombie »

I agree rusty, but as the saying goes "once bitten, twice shy". I am willing to see how it works. The only problems I have ever had with my servers are self induced 98% of the time. That said its nice to be able to turn to someone and have a resolution within a matter of minutes.
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

I guess we'll see what happens. I'm more than happy right now, so anymore improvements to service will just be an icing on the cake. :)
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I have it configured right now to be very similar to chat, actually. For instance, when a staffmember is logged in, it notifies them with a ring, and they can answer immediately. On the client control panel side, after you open a ticket, you can just leave open the ticket window and it will auto-refresh to show the response, just like a chat window. (I may also be adding a sound effect there as well.)

In addition, any ticket response is mentioned at the top of all control panel pages until the support page is viewed again, and an email is automatically dispatched with the contents of the response.

The system also ties into support@nfoservers.com, so responses to emails will show up in the control panel.

Give it a go when you have the chance. We won't mind :)
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

I might just have to try it out then! Sounds like it could be something very useful! Any time-frame on the donation additions? :P
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Not yet on that. There are a few other things that are higher on the To Do list that I've been working on (like this system).
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

We had a couple of customers contact us to say they didn't like the new system today -- customers who hadn't even tried it yet!

Guys, before you pass judgment on the new system and say that the quality of service here has gone down, please try the new system. I can guarantee that you'll be pleasantly surprised by the fact that it's just as fast as chat, and better in a multitude of other ways. We handle these support requests the way you wish every other company did -- quickly, and thoroughly.

When I first started NFO, all the major companies were offering phone support. I didn't do that here, because I knew that it was a terrible idea. Why? For the same reasons that Live chat didn't work out! We've still never offered phone support, and that's a decision I don't regret, because customers have been served better without it.

So far, the new system is working out great. Customers are served in just minutes, and more thoroughly than they were with Live chat. We're also actually working harder than ever over here. And the instant escalation to me personally for any support requests that can't be handled by other staff has been a huge boon to customers -- that just wasn't possible with chat.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Over the last ~ two months, the request system has been working smoothly for us and customers seem to be happy with it overall, so we're removing the extra verbiage on the "Help!" page about it being new. :)

We'll always welcome further feedback on how we can improve, and anything else here at NFO, though!