kraze
Former staff
Former staff
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Natural Selection 2 on a Windows install

Post by kraze »

How to install NS2 on an un-managed machine or VDS

1. First, you will want to get a copy SteamCMD, you can get this here
2. Extract SteamCMD to a folder on your desktop, since it will create a large amount of files on its own.
3. Open SteamCMD and let it go through its initial update check.
4. Once it is done, type: "login username password"
5. Now you must direct Steam where to install your server with this command: "force_install_dir". A good default is: "C:\NS2server"
6. Type: "app_update 4940 validate"
7. Close SteamCMD and navigate to the directory where you installed your server and find "server.exe". Right click on it to make a shortcut.
8. Right click over your shorcut to configure basic server options.
9. In the "Target" field you can customize some basics on your server. For a full list of valid flags see here.
A good default could be: -ip 192.168.1.1 -port 27015 -limit 16 -name "NS2 Server" -map ns2_tram -console

Your server is now setup and ready to be played on. If you are looking to do some advance configuring you will need to navigate to "C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2". Alternatively you can specify "-config_path" on your command line and direct the configuration files to another location.

For more configuration options including your map cycle, server.cfg, and admin abilities, look here

How do I update my server?

The easiest way to do this is to create a new .bat file in your SteamCMD directory with this as the contents;

Code: Select all

SteamCmd.exe +login username password +force_install_dir C:\NS2Server\ +app_update 4940 verify +quit pause
*Replace "username" and "password" with your Steam username and password.
*Replace "C:\NS2Server\" with the directory of the installed server

Now, just run that .bat file each time you need your server(s) updated.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!