BF3 Servers...

Edge100x
Founder
Founder
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Re: BF3 Servers...

Post by Edge100x »

We've been told that BF3 is more intensive than BC2, especially at large slot counts, and other factors may also be involved with that price, but it does seem quite a bit higher than I'd expect. I guess they're trying to get as much mileage out of being one of very few authorized early-preorder hosts as they can.
Sna.ke
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Sna.ke »

Don't you remember when 64 player BF2 and BF2142 servers first came out? They were selling for $300+ for a full 64 player server.

Even America's Army was $100+ a month for a 24 player server. I remember our clan was looking at both and we opted for AA because (a) slight majority of players were from that server; and (b) it was a lot cheaper.

It doesn't surprise me that it would be over $100 for a 64 player server. I wouldn't expect to see it anywhere near old prices (given how far we've come with server hardware, etc) but I could see $100.

As an aside, I certainly wouldn't want to front that whole bill though
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Prices for game servers used to be much, much higher. When BF2 came out in 2005, our base 16-player servers for even the cheapest games here cost something like $60. AA has unfortunately always been pricey, as the licensing fee for an AA server is something like $30/instance, at minimum.

Our prices for BF3 won't be near $300, I'll say that much.
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by IcEWoLF »

Edge100x wrote:Prices for game servers used to be much, much higher. When BF2 came out in 2005, our base 16-player servers for even the cheapest games here cost something like $60. AA has unfortunately always been pricey, as the licensing fee for an AA server is something like $30/instance, at minimum.

Our prices for BF3 won't be near $300, I'll say that much.
I remember those days.
I also remember paying nearly $5-$7 per slow when BF2 came out.
Sad days those were...
Things aren't too bad when you have a well established community and receiving regular monthly donations and making your monthly goal.
jasonelmore
A regular
A regular

Post by jasonelmore »

Branzone just released their prices and it's really expensive, although they include a bunch of useless stuff most customers dont care about., it's looking like customers might as well rent a VPN from you guys instead of a game server. The prices for 64 slot RO2 are $95 a month here at NFO, and Managed VPN's range from $50 to $80.

could a dual core with 2000GB package for $49.99 run BF3 64 slot?, if you dont know, how about, could it run RO2 64 slot?
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

BF3 performance isn't available yet. As for RO2, very few providers have hardware that can run 64 slot servers, and a VDS just can't handle it due to the small bit of overhead from the virtualization, even if it is running on the same hardware.
TimeX
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Indications are that BF3 servers will also be very hard on the hardware, though RSPs don't know exactly how hard yet.

We'll be setting up BF3 servers on our fastest machines exclusively, so "Performance Levels" (as I saw at one other host) won't be needed here :). Prices will just have the standard per-slot model, and we'll go as low as our costs allow for them. Preorder pricing will be tentative because we still haven't seen how the game performs on our hardware; we'll be adjusting prices (up or down) after the game is released and we have better data.

We will continue to guarantee the highest performance for each configuration that we offer. As BC2 has aged, our customer base has increased significantly because more and more customers have come to us from other with lower performance. With the number of stories I've heard about big name hosts that can't even run that game well, I think many will have severe problems running BF3 servers smoothly.
VAPOR
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by VAPOR »

bf3 is : 1.29 a slot at gayservers.com

nfo should go: 1.25

:)
Please add "Americas Army Proving Grounds" to the servers offered listing!
http://d3g.in
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

I've noticed a huge influx in competitive pricing for this game. Even Gameservers who I would expect to be near the top is low balling prices.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I suspect that a lot of providers out there plan to run their servers on existing, outdated hardware instead of making the investments in new hardware that it will take to run 64-slot BF3 servers smoothly. Such servers will still run on that cheap hardware, but pings will be higher in-game, and other performance artifacts such as skipping/warping will be much more common.

Our prices here are actually less than our true cost estimates for running the game (part of which comes from having to roll out new hardware). We've mostly done this because we want to remain at a price-competitive level, and there is a strong possibility that we'll have to raise prices later. (Preordered pricing will be locked in for customers who order now, of course.)

I would be very suspicious of other providers with "too good to be true" pricing. Especially suspicious should be anyone with a lower price than BC2, which uses far less resources than BF3 and lacks an additional significant cost factor that BF3 has exclusively. With such hosts, none of which share our performance guarantee, I would strongly recommend testing the product before purchasing.
.=QUACK=.Major.Pain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by .=QUACK=.Major.Pain »

Honestly, NFO is offering BF3 at the same price as the average.

http://www.gspreviews.com/gspprices.html

Gameservers ($1.28) I find always at the bottom end of pricing, but with them you always get hat you pay for. Overloaded, under equipped laggy ass servers.

Low Ping Servers ($1.55) is slightly above the average.

Nfo and all others seem to be all hanging around the $1.50 mark.
Visit gspreviews.com And Rate & Review Your Old & Current GSP's
Find Your GSP Coupons at gspreviews.com/coupons/
VAPOR
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by VAPOR »

Either way I will stick with nfo....I have no reason to jump ship as my vps kicks major ass :P
Please add "Americas Army Proving Grounds" to the servers offered listing!
http://d3g.in
Python
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Python »

I currently run a VPS for my TF2 servers though you guys but i haven't touched the Battlefield series for a long time, last time i ran a server for them was back in Bf1942/Desert Combat days.

Can someone clarify the following question as i'm not 100% sure on all of this stuff:

1. Is my only option to run a BF3 server to be to rent it as a ranked server? or will their be dedicated server files available to run unranked servers on say, a VPS?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Python, there will not be publicly released files to allow admins to run their own servers on unmanaged setups, but you should be able to run a server in unranked mode on a managed VDS.
Sim
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Sim »

http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =51&t=5705

EA charging a license fee per slot now.. Is that how EA is making battlelog "free".
Seems like a dirty move on EA part to stick to get PC gamers.