BF3 on SSD?

Alex
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

BF3 on SSD?

Post by Alex »

Just curious, the dedicated servers you guys sell offer SSD upgrades, I run a home server from an SSD and I love it, any chance game server customers will be able to get on an SSD?

I want to get a dedicated, but if I host 4 x 64 the cost ($259.99+$64 rental fee) is much too high.
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Re: BF3 on SSD?

Post by TimeX »

If it offers an increase i performance, we can look into it. Most game servers don't show a noticeable difference on an SSD drive, with Minecraft being the one exception.
TimeX
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Adding on to what TimeX says, most games do not use the HD often. Only when writing to the log file and loading a new map..etc. So the HD is usually not stressed enough to the point where adding an SSD would cause a performance gain.

Do I think adding an SSD will cause one? Yes, but is it noticeable is the question.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Some of our shared game servers run on SSDs, but we don't do it as a general rule (except with Minecraft). It just doesn't make a difference.
Alex
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Alex »

Most likely it wont for BF3, but when you have a server such as deathrun in css with 15 minute map changes it helps with the load.

I personally like it and I do notice a faster change it maps, with battlefield's map change history I am sure it will help.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

The main reason that they don't typically help much with our shared server platforms is that the game server operations are very read-heavy (map loads) and there's typically a very large amount of RAM free (usually something like 10 GB). Because everything can be effectively cached, maps load instantly.