Lag! :(

MyOdessa
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Re: Lag! :(

Post by MyOdessa »

Edge100x wrote:MyOdessa, if it's only happening with 10 players, it shouldn't be due to the fact that it's on a VDS unless you have other servers pushing you right up against 100% CPU usage, as that's so few players that the server takes essentially no CPU. One strong possibility would be that you're seeing an attack -- do you see unusual usage on your "Server usage" page? Opening a support request so that we can look at your traffic and double-check the machine would be a good step after checking out the other possible factors.

I did opened ticket yesterday, but the only suggestions were to disable ProCon and anti-cheating soft i am running on the server (same as I have been running for past 3 months) and to enable multi-threading ( I don't see how this will help when i am lagging with few players).

I did look at server usage page, but I don't see anything unusual there.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

I believe it was me that replied to that, Did you ever attempt to disable procon and any anti cheat streaming?
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
MyOdessa
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by MyOdessa »

I have been running the same ProCon and anti-cheat for 3 months. I did not have any lag with them running. I made no changes to anything on the server or ProCon. Why would they become a problem in the last 3 days?

Moreover, if I have to disable what few anti-cheat plug ins I am running, I'll turn server off. I have not seen that many hackers this early in the game as I see with BF3.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

MyOdessa wrote:I have been running the same ProCon and anti-cheat for 3 months. I did not have any lag with them running. I made no changes to anything on the server or ProCon. Why would they become a problem in the last 3 days?

Moreover, if I have to disable what few anti-cheat plug ins I am running, I'll turn server off. I have not seen that many hackers this early in the game as I see with BF3.

This is just part of the trouble shooting process. Things go whack and have issues, I would suggest doing it so we can just see if it helps at all.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

It should also be kept in mind that while a server admin may not change anything on his server, some things do change beyond the admin's control. Some examples are Punkbuster updating or the Streaming sites themselves having problems. Such things can change without a server admin even knowing about it, but can still cause some large problems like they have in the past.
TimeX
.=QUACK=.Major.Pain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by .=QUACK=.Major.Pain »

On top of the lag, it dumped the entire server.

Looking at the server stats, memory on the server is maxing out.
Bandwidth in is very high - double out - not sure if that's normal.
Visit gspreviews.com And Rate & Review Your Old & Current GSP's
Find Your GSP Coupons at gspreviews.com/coupons/
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Pain, if your memory usage or CPU usage is maxed out, you may need to upgrade or shut down one of your servers. It is also possible that you are misreading the memory usage graph, as that is a common mistake. This does not sound like the same problem as MyOdessa is seeing, unless MyOdessa is also maxing CPU and memory.

For anyone seeing an individual problem, either personal to their client or specific to their server, opening a support request is best. This forum is mainly useful for overall concerns about the game. We can't look at your individual routing or server for you to delve further when you post here.

If you saw the server dump its players and have performance problems at the same time, it is likely that you were under attack, and we would be able to see that in your network graph and traffic. We talk about the many factors that can cause player drops here: http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =70&t=6497.
.=QUACK=.Major.Pain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

I only have a bf3 server on it.
Can't shut anything else down.

Looking a the graph, it says max available is 1193, and we hit on the top end neat 1153.
The 2hr graph shows max 1243.

I would have to assume the max values are incorrect since they are different.

It says max memory availabe, but wouldn't it be closer to 2000 on a 2 core vds?
Minus what is used for the O/S.
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

You could be seeing max for that period. Also, keep in mind that the graph shows RAM free, not RAM used. A common mistake, as John said.
TimeX
.=QUACK=.Major.Pain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Then why say Ram Available: Max 1183
If it's wrong, then it's misconceiving.
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

That means the max that was available for that period with your usage. A 2-core VDS will have 2GB of RAM.
TimeX
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Having more than a gigabyte of RAM available would indicate that there's no chance of your problem being due to low RAM, Pain, so we can move on to other possibilities when discussing this in the request.
.=QUACK=.Major.Pain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

My issue was that when looking at the graph, it was misleading say the Available Ram: Max #. Would be more clear if it stated Memory Used: Max: #

Seeing available makes one think the they are using only the max available.

I tried several tests yesterday, by turning of all streaming, disconnecting Procon from gameserver completely. The lag was still present.

We played on another server yesterday which is hosted by NFO in Chicago, and it's only a 16 slot server, and we noticed the lag their as well, but it was slightly less for me.

Difference for me is that Chicago is closer than Dallase, and they don't stream or use Procon, but I would say they have the same issue. I am not sure, but I think they have a gameserver and not a VDS.

Only thing in common left is Punkbuster.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

It could be PB or you might be looking at a routing problem.

All of the graphs show max, ave, and cur values. It is useful for them to do this, and more useful to know how much memory is available rather than how much is in use, which is why we go that route.
.=QUACK=.Major.Pain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

But as you said, max available really isn't max available, but max used in the period shown.