Newbie Server Admin!

Zipperbag
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Newbie Server Admin!

Post by Zipperbag »

Morning!

I was hoping someone could offer some NFO specific info (kinda narrowed things down)

1) I believe a server in Chi would be best location for most all players, But is it a big deal to change locations ie. In the past it seemed servers @ TX performed well for me and others (this was a few yrs ago).

2) Is it possible to eliminate kicking idle players, and/or other auto-type Admin responsibilties w/o specific connections ie. Computer online w/ Procon active

3) I personally use TS, but would like to use the included Mumble service for pubbers. Can I more or less provide the ip addy provided to me?

4) Do I need to purchase a domain name for the forum/webhosting?

All answers appreciated!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Newbie Server Admin!

Post by Edge100x »

Zipperbag wrote:1) I believe a server in Chi would be best location for most all players, But is it a big deal to change locations ie. In the past it seemed servers @ TX performed well for me and others (this was a few yrs ago).
Chicago is a solid location. You can easily change it later and changing it will not affect the server's GUID (so favorites will not be lost).
2) Is it possible to eliminate kicking idle players, and/or other auto-type Admin responsibilties w/o specific connections ie. Computer online w/ Procon active
The game itself can kick idle players. We have an admin daemon that provides some common admin functions, but you are welcome to run your own 3rd party tool remotely, as well.
3) I personally use TS, but would like to use the included Mumble service for pubbers. Can I more or less provide the ip addy provided to me?
Yes, you can use the voice server as you see fit, either as a public or private server.
4) Do I need to purchase a domain name for the forum/webhosting?
We provide a free subdomain that you can use, so that's not necessary. But, many customers do purchase their own domains.
Zipperbag
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Zipperbag »

Edge100x wrote:
Zipperbag wrote:
The game itself can kick idle players. We have an admin daemon that provides some common admin functions, but you are welcome to run your own 3rd party tool remotely, as well.
Thank you for the quick reply Edge!

Now I understand that you cant say the next server update will not break or change how things work currently. But can I currently alleviate inactive players from being kicked, w the in-house admin daemon? ie. Set a time limit, and log-out/off

At your leisure could you expand on the common admin functions too.. Im going to assume (which Im happy your answer's do not) that its possible to give other members kick/ban privileges. Basically I would hope to see a log showing the reason ie. thru Control panel? Is it possible to take screen shots? I know that the Punkbuster "Webtool" has these features, but doesnt sound too secure.

Links or an E-mail if needed (ie. Would BF3CC provide lag-free gaming, or if Im patient can you help set things up right? Procon or what/not) I mean (if possible) it might be nice to enable map-voting for a map not even in rotation, but I do not wish to sacrifice the gaming experience.

Im hopin for alot really ie. players from both West & East Coast, and even Canada, so I dunno if any 3rd party tools should even be considered.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Zipperbag wrote:Now I understand that you cant say the next server update will not break or change how things work currently. But can I currently alleviate inactive players from being kicked, w the in-house admin daemon? ie. Set a time limit, and log-out/off
We don't have special features for this beyond the game setting, so for more advanced options, you'd need to use a 3rd party tool.
At your leisure could you expand on the common admin functions too.. Im going to assume (which Im happy your answer's do not) that its possible to give other members kick/ban privileges. Basically I would hope to see a log showing the reason ie. thru Control panel?
You can view streaming information from the server on the the "Server control" page, but nothing is logged beyond that. Logging admin actions is an interesting suggestion that I may investigate.
Is it possible to take screen shots? I know that the Punkbuster "Webtool" has these features, but doesnt sound too secure.
You can trigger a PB screenshot at any time through rcon, as well, or through 3rd party tools.
Links or an E-mail if needed (ie. Would BF3CC provide lag-free gaming, or if Im patient can you help set things up right? Procon or what/not) I mean (if possible) it might be nice to enable map-voting for a map not even in rotation, but I do not wish to sacrifice the gaming experience.
Procon seems to be the 3rd party system of choice if you want more advanced features and plugin support. There's a lot of information in this forum about it, as many customers run it. We don't host or support Procon ourselves at this time.
Colt
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Colt »

zipper, set the 'Idle time out" setting to 0
Zipperbag
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Zipperbag »

Colt wrote:zipper, set the 'Idle time out" setting to 0
Thank you for the responce Colt! fyi: I havnt ordered the server yet.

Im kinda liking the idea of not using 3rd party at least to start things off. Id almost like to be able to set the start time for a rnd, but I know a few I game w still dont run SSD, so even that perk is kinda questionable.

p.s. Id this correct for "nameservers", if I provide a Domain name?

NS1.NFOSERVERS.COM
NS2.NFOSERVERS.COM
NS3.NFOSERVERS.COM
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Yes, those are correct to use as name servers if you have webhosting with us.
Zipperbag
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Zipperbag »

Can someone provide some info in reguards to "Tickets given:"

I have the maps set through easy setup, and tickets at 110% (Map is on scrapmetal at 165 tickets) Id like to see something closer too say 350 (maybe 400ish) But I also hope to have a rush round in the mix @ closer too 100 or so tickets.

Im already thinkin to scrap the Rush round (enjoyed it much more in BC2 really)
.=QUACK=.Major.Pain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by .=QUACK=.Major.Pain »

IF your not using Procon, you can't get 350-400 tickets on one game mode and 100 on another. If you put a value of 300%, it's 300% of default tickets for both game modes.

And also maps of the same game modes don't always have the same default tickets.

If you were using Procon, there are plugins that will adjust the % of tickets for each game mode, and allows you to use different %'s for each game mode. And it will adjust the value at the point of the round end for the next map, so that when the map loads, it has the correct tickets %.
Visit gspreviews.com And Rate & Review Your Old & Current GSP's
Find Your GSP Coupons at gspreviews.com/coupons/
Zipperbag
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Zipperbag »

Good News! I was able to use squad rush to achieve somewhat closer to ideal ticket ratio. The !map command also allowed me to load a map that wasnt in rotation.

However I did encounter a stumbling block

1) Im using the "easy setup" which I really like btw (sorta wysiwyg type deal), But for some reason when I used the !map function (in-game) I could only get a Rush map. Should I be able to type something like "MP_007 ConquestLarge0 1", or is something like MP_008 instead? The command I was able to enter w/o error was !map MP_007

I think the real question would be how to !map conquest64 Gulf of Oman, if possible (probably not a great choice for rotation on 24 man server)w/o mostly friends playing

p.s. I kinda wish the help msg for "Automatic server messages" included a note about using quotation marks. Thank you for all the help guys!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Yes, you can specify the type mode as you describe, like:

!map mp_003 rushlarge0 2

or just

!map mp_003 rushlarge0

What problem are you having with quotation marks?
Zipperbag
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Zipperbag »

No, no problem with quotes. I just didnt realize that I needed to type in quotation marks on the easy setup page (messages didnt work)
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

You definitely don't need to type in quotes, no :). Any quotes you type in will just end up as part of the message.
Zipperbag
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Zipperbag »

Edge100x wrote:You definitely don't need to type in quotes, no :). Any quotes you type in will just end up as part of the message.

It sounds like I need to take another look at implementing server messages. I thought that it appeared for the in-game yell command to work, it needed to be in quotes (figuring thats why message's didnt appear to show) I did see my 30 min message though.

p.s. I must say I was a bit tired when I was attempting to play the game, and look for the messages (think I recall seeing the quotes too)
Zipperbag
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Zipperbag »

Hey Edge!

I could really use your help on my map rotation! I currently have 20 maps in the rotation, and it appears that the map will not only repeat/rotate to the top of the list (but do so twice) creating three instances of that map.

If I use the command !nextmap, it does the same thing to another map (creating three instances)

Command from rcon tool: !nextmap
admin.listPlayers all
mapList.runNextRound
server.onLevelLoaded XP1_004 SquadRush0 1 2
serverInfo
mapList.clear
mapList.add mp_subway conquestsmall0 2
mapList.add mp_subway conquestsmall0 2
mapList.add mp_013 squadrush0 2
mapList.add xp2_skybar domination0 1
mapList.add mp_017 squaddeathmatch0 1
mapList.add mp_subway conquestlarge0 2