Minecraft connection problem

DeltaSonic
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Minecraft connection problem

Post by DeltaSonic »

I have one friend who is unable to connect my minecraft server on my VPS. All my other friends connect just fine. I've tried just about everything to get him on and all I've managed to determine is that it's likely his end somewhere. When my friend tries to log in he succeeds but only for about 20-30 seconds. Either he logs in and falls constantly (only on his end) or only is able to load 1 chunk with "Internal exception: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out" usually following either. He doesn't receive any messages sent on the server but his get out just fine in that short time before disconnect. I've (each of them done in a separate test and then reverted) loaded a completely vanilla server, changed the server ports around, had him open ports, disable his firewall, had him completely delete and redownload minecraft, and possibly a few other things that slip my mind. None of these have helped at all. Now the part that really confuses me is that he's able to play other games on the VPS without any problems and he was able to connect to a test server I hosted locally without any issue. What gives?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Minecraft connection problem

Post by Edge100x »

It sounds like his ISP may be giving him trouble, but it's difficult to say. Have you also tried having him bypass his router and plug straight into his modem (if applicable)? Also, does he see any other performance effects for the short time that he's able to play, such as high latency or skipping?
DeltaSonic
New to forums
New to forums

Post by DeltaSonic »

Well the direct modem connection worked but that's obviously not the way he wants it set up. So what needs to be done in the router? Right now the server port 25565 is open on UDP and TCP (I knew this wouldn't help but did anyways) and I can't find the port the client uses; I think it's random. So I'm not sure what to do next.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

He should try upgrading to the latest router firmware first. If that doesn't help, then it's mostly a matter of looking through the router configuration dialogs for potentially relevant settings. Anything about TCP connection timeouts or connection tracking might be worth trying new values for.

If no other solution can be found, he may have to contact the manufacturer, or replace the router.
DeltaSonic
New to forums
New to forums

Post by DeltaSonic »

Well I set his router have his computer be a DMZ host as a test which what I can tell opens all ports and it wound up doing nothing better. So either it's not a port problem or his router is just saying "go to hell" :/ Well at least the direct modem connection works as a workaround when no one else is using the connection.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I would still recommend a router firmware upgrade, if it's available, as the best next step. This might be a glitch that the router manufacturer has cleared up in the latest release.
.=QUACK=.Major.Pain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by .=QUACK=.Major.Pain »

Just curious if it's a Linsys WRT54G v. 4?
Linksys had many bugs in their firmware, and after googling some of my issues, it was suggested to update the firmware, and all my issues went away.

If I remember right, even with the appearance of everything wide open, it wasn't acting that way, and the upgrade resolved it.
Visit gspreviews.com And Rate & Review Your Old & Current GSP's
Find Your GSP Coupons at gspreviews.com/coupons/
DeltaSonic
New to forums
New to forums

Post by DeltaSonic »

Firmware upgrade did nothing and its a netgear. We got a separate game hosting plan for minecraft because some people refused to play if there were any mods or plugins on the server. Told them they could run it themselves if they wanted it. Point being my friend who kept disconnecting can connect here (still NFO) even though it didn't work when I had a vanilla server running. So what ever the problem is, it specificly invloves his router, my server, and minecraft. Change the game, join a different server, or remove the router and suddenly it works. I really don't get it.

EDIT: I still want to find out why this is happening because he still wants to play on this server before we all move to the vanilla one.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

It sounds like a unique router bug.

He might try resetting the router to its defaults, or borrowing some else's router (or a store's) as a test.