KRDucky
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Minecraft Bukkit Mods

Post by KRDucky »

Hi, i have a new server and was wondering how to install the Mods:

Minecolony and BuildCraft

I have no clue how to install them but I would like to use them to assist in the replication of a couple of RL places.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Minecraft Bukkit Mods

Post by Edge100x »

If these are plugins for Bukkit, you may just need to upload them to the "plugins" folder of your server FTP. The plugins should come with install instructions to follow if it's any more complicated than that.
KRDucky
New to forums
New to forums

Post by KRDucky »

Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Since you mentioned Bukkit in the title, I was hoping that you had Bukkit versions =\. These ones are not related to Bukkit, from what I can see, and I personally have very limited experience with such mods.

From the pages you linked, these are the instructions for Minecolony:
How To Install Mine Colony

Installing Mine Colony can be confusing. Make sure you have Rigasumi's Mod Loader and TFC's Mod Manager. With TFC's Mod manager, you don't even need to bother unzipping the mod or opening your minecraft.jar, you can just use the simple interface to remotely load mods.

Once you have Mine Colony installed, you should spend some time on the official thread learning how the various NPCs work. Once you get the hang of things it is fairly simple to get them going, though there is a little bit of a learning curve involved.

Mine Colony is (allegedly) compatible with Mo'Creatures, and I suggest you install both at the same time. Unless you have some sort of soul condition that prevents you from enjoying things like horses and piglets. That's right, I said piglets.
And for BuildCraft:
1. First, install ModLoaderMP Server http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/514 ... aft-forge/
2. Starting BuildCraft 2.0.0, you will need to install Minecraft forge http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/514 ... aft-forge/
3. Get the client packages of BuildCraft that you want to use (see above).
4. Extract the contents of these packages right into minecraft_server.jar
Each of their dependencies has its own install instructions.

Since this will be fairly complicated, I recommend spending some time on a local server (one hosted on your client machine) to make sure that they are installed and working before uploading your modified .jar file to the game server here.
KRDucky
New to forums
New to forums

Post by KRDucky »

Edge100x wrote:Since you mentioned Bukkit in the title, I was hoping that you had Bukkit versions =\. These ones are not related to Bukkit, from what I can see, and I personally have very limited experience with such mods.

From the pages you linked, these are the instructions for Minecolony:
How To Install Mine Colony

Installing Mine Colony can be confusing. Make sure you have Rigasumi's Mod Loader and TFC's Mod Manager. With TFC's Mod manager, you don't even need to bother unzipping the mod or opening your minecraft.jar, you can just use the simple interface to remotely load mods.

Once you have Mine Colony installed, you should spend some time on the official thread learning how the various NPCs work. Once you get the hang of things it is fairly simple to get them going, though there is a little bit of a learning curve involved.

Mine Colony is (allegedly) compatible with Mo'Creatures, and I suggest you install both at the same time. Unless you have some sort of soul condition that prevents you from enjoying things like horses and piglets. That's right, I said piglets.
And for BuildCraft:
1. First, install ModLoaderMP Server http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/514 ... aft-forge/
2. Starting BuildCraft 2.0.0, you will need to install Minecraft forge http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/514 ... aft-forge/
3. Get the client packages of BuildCraft that you want to use (see above).
4. Extract the contents of these packages right into minecraft_server.jar
Each of their dependencies has its own install instructions.

Since this will be fairly complicated, I recommend spending some time on a local server (one hosted on your client machine) to make sure that they are installed and working before uploading your modified .jar file to the game server here.
Read closer:

Bukkit:

Bukkit server binaries are ported by a separate team, available from http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/382 ... nd-canary/

Previous versions available on the BuildCraft wiki.
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

Those first linked also seem to be for single player mode, and not multiplayer. Most (though not all) multiplayer mods for Minecraft are Bukkit plugins, so you will most likely be using it a fair bit.
TimeX
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Read closer:
You posted here because you didn't want to read and follow the instructions, and now you're telling me that I'm not doing a good enough job at just that -- an ironic twist :).

The mods you want aren't actually made for Bukkit. What you're linking is a hack to try to make mods like these work along with it. Plugins made for Bukkit are much, much easier to install, since they just need to be uploaded to the "plugins" folder on the server.

I would again strongly suggest testing these on a local server before uploading them to your server at NFO. With how many moving parts are involved, it will be difficult to get it right the first time, and it's a bit easier to troubleshoot a local server than a remote one.
FlyingMongoose
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by FlyingMongoose »

It seems like the MineColony requires some client side modification anyway, which is something I personally would advise against applying to an MP server, as only people with the same client side modifications would be able to see these features applied, it also could cause some stability issues after applying. I've had an MC server myself for a few months and have had people request that I get this or that or enable certain things, but if in even one spot I see a necessity of client mod, I say no, it's not worth it to risk the stability of my world and my server. As well as alienate those who don't pay attention.
KRDucky
New to forums
New to forums

Post by KRDucky »

Edge100x wrote:
Read closer:
You posted here because you didn't want to read and follow the instructions, and now you're telling me that I'm not doing a good enough job at just that -- an ironic twist ;).

The mods you want aren't actually made for Bukkit. What you're linking is a hack to try to make mods like these work along with it. Plugins made for Bukkit are much, much easier to install, since they just need to be uploaded to the "plugins" folder on the server.

I would again strongly suggest testing these on a local server before uploading them to your server at NFO. With how many moving parts are involved, it will be difficult to get it right the first time, and it's a bit easier to troubleshoot a local server than a remote one.
i was not implying you dont know what you are doing i just figured you missed that part.

i have tried to make it work I just don't understand the instructions. Do you know of any plugins that do the Build craft stuff? I have tried the plugins before and they did not work even though they were in the plugins folder for bukkit on the server.
Vanderburg
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Vanderburg »

There are many plugins for Bukkit that do what you want. Client-side mods are generally not usable in multiplayer, so you'd need to download a plugin for the server to achieve the functionality you'd want.

plugins.bukkit.org is an excellent search tool for finding plugins as it is an official repository of Bukkit plugins. A quick example of searching for a plugin that gives you NPCs:

http://plugins.bukkit.org/#ti=npc&ta=al ... alse&pno=0

A similar search can be conducted for BuildCraft.
Vanderburg
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Vanderburg »

ALSO: On a separate note: if your Bukkit plugins aren't loading, you can feel free to submit a support request and we can look and see that everything is configured properly for you.