Changing my ip/server address

CreeperInside
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Changing my ip/server address

Post by CreeperInside »

When i say ip/server address, I mean the actual address people use to connect to my server, atm it's .game.nfoservers.com. I just registered a domain name that i plan to use for my website, can i also use this as my game server address, so Myservername.net? Also how would i go about doing this?
Thanks.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Changing my ip/server address

Post by kraze »

Hi,

Yes you can. If you want we can change the DNS for you (XX.game.nfoservers.com) or you can set up an "A" name record via the domains tab and use your domain and have it point to your server.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
CreeperInside
New to forums
New to forums

Post by CreeperInside »

Under the [mydomainname].net tab in Domains, i made another @ symbol and pointed it towards "A". But it comes up with "The address [mydomainname].net needs an IP address in the form xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, where each number is between 0 and 255".
CreeperInside
New to forums
New to forums

Post by CreeperInside »

Sorry, nevermind my last post, i figured it out. I know the @ symbol stands for just [mydomain].net, but will changing that affect the website as well? For example, will typing in [mydomain].net try to push my ip address in the address bar? Or will it stay the same and just go to my website? If this isn't the case, would it better to have my server ip as something like mc.[domainname].net?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

You will need to use a different subdomain to point to the game server unless it runs on the same IP as your website (which isn't possible here). This means that you'll want to use something like mc.yourdomain.net, yes.

I would recommend using a CNAME to XX.game.nfoservers.com for your new subdomain, as that will offer maximum flexibility.