Need a LOT of help.

WilltheGamer
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Need a LOT of help.

Post by WilltheGamer »

Sorry to ask for so much help but I am soooo lost on how to use my NFO minecraft server.

So here is what I need to know:

1. How do I install texture packs onto my server?
2. How do I install mods onto the server?
3. I am getting some lag on my 5 man server, if I upgrade to say a 10 man or higher, does performance improve on the server? My server is pretty massive, I have probably placed over a million blocks easily, but I am not sure if this effects server performance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If there are other threads already explaining this, a simple link would be helpful :)
.=QUACK=.Major.Pain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Need a LOT of help.

Post by .=QUACK=.Major.Pain »

Is it on a SSD drive?
That's recommended for better performance.
Visit gspreviews.com And Rate & Review Your Old & Current GSP's
Find Your GSP Coupons at gspreviews.com/coupons/
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

You should be able to just upload the texture pack to the root of your servers FTP and then under the "texture-pack=" line your server.properties add the name of it and restart the server.
For the most part you just need to upload them to the plugins folder in your FTP after installing Bukkit. However, each plugin/mod has its own instructions that should be provided when downloading it.
3. I am getting some lag on my 5 man server, if I upgrade to say a 10 man or higher, does performance improve on the server? My server is pretty massive, I have probably placed over a million blocks easily, but I am not sure if this effects server performance.
Lag can be related to a lot of things, on smaller servers like yours it can be something as simple as blowing up to much TNT or some insane redstone circuits, on bigger ones it can be related to plugins or other mods.

Since you are asking how to install plugins, is it safe to assume you are running a vanilla server?
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
WilltheGamer
New to forums
New to forums

Post by WilltheGamer »

kraze wrote:
You should be able to just upload the texture pack to the root of your servers FTP and then under the "texture-pack=" line your server.properties add the name of it and restart the server.
For the most part you just need to upload them to the plugins folder in your FTP after installing Bukkit. However, each plugin/mod has its own instructions that should be provided when downloading it.
Lag can be related to a lot of things, on smaller servers like yours it can be something as simple as blowing up to much TNT or some insane redstone circuits, on bigger ones it can be related to plugins or other mods.

Since you are asking how to install plugins, is it safe to assume you are running a vanilla server?

I dont know what an FTP is or how to use it, sorry for being a noob =(

yes the server is vanilla and it has no mods or textures. I have changed a few settings like creeper griefing is off etc but thats it.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

We were all noobs at one point :D

I have a good guide here on how to use FTP and connect to your server, check it out and let me know if you have any questions:
http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =24&t=8044
yes the server is vanilla and it has no mods or textures. I have changed a few settings like creeper griefing is off etc but thats it.
How long does the lag last? Do you and other players freeze in place for a few seconds or are you seeing chat and block lag?
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
WilltheGamer
New to forums
New to forums

Post by WilltheGamer »

kraze wrote:
We were all noobs at one point :D

I have a good guide here on how to use FTP and connect to your server, check it out and let me know if you have any questions:
http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =24&t=8044
How long does the lag last? Do you and other players freeze in place for a few seconds or are you seeing chat and block lag?
The lag happens in random placces, for instance, when there are say 100x100 blocks, and in the middle of those blocks in a hole, if you try to fill that hole it will lag for a second with every block you place getting worse and worse the more you place. BUT if you place blocks in random places outside the space, it doesnt lag... its so wierd.

Also getting a lot of screen tearing in random places with a lot of invisible blocks, failing shadows that disappear as you get close to them. Lots of random lag related bugs all over the place.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Click the "help" button in your control panel and open a request so we can take a look at your specific server.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
WilltheGamer
New to forums
New to forums

Post by WilltheGamer »

kraze wrote:Click the "help" button in your control panel and open a request so we can take a look at your specific server.
Should I say anything specific?
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

Just explain the issue as you explained it here.

What you describe though sounds graphic related. Are you using any graphic related mods such as MCPatcher or Optifine, or a custom texture pack?
TimeX
WilltheGamer
New to forums
New to forums

Post by WilltheGamer »

TimeX wrote:Just explain the issue as you explained it here.

What you describe though sounds graphic related. Are you using any graphic related mods such as MCPatcher or Optifine, or a custom texture pack?
no. All minecraft, and my friends have the same issues. I think those may just be bugs within the multiplayer itself.
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

Some of those bugs are known, such as the shadows, but others I have not run into. Which version of Minecraft are you running? Is it one of the weekly releases?
TimeX