[TF2] Want to host 3 servers, can't even get one to work wit

Chdata
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

[TF2] Want to host 3 servers, can't even get one to work wit

Post by Chdata »

So for a while now, through the 2-core $30 a month unmanaged VPS package, I've been hosting 3 TF2 servers.

Server 1 - 32 slot
Server 2 - 24 slot
Server 3 - 18 slot

I found that if I merely spawn 32 bots and stare at them, FPS drops straight about as low as it can go. This takes 50-60% of the server's cpu for them to stand there.

On the 24 slot, only 45-55% (which is just as laggy as 32, anything above 20ish players becomes very laggy). But if they all attack eachother, it jumps to 75-80%.

Generally any one server seems fine up until the 18-22 player mark.

I don't think it's my own computer, as I don't lag with this many players on my screen on other servers. Even ones that some friends of mine who own servers manage from NFO.

I was recommended the 2-core VPS package by a friend who runs an entire 7 servers off the same package with max ram and bandwidth. He has one server that's 32 players and is full very often so I assume lag isn't an issue for him. His other servers are usually empty though. He says I should be able to do the same, but what's the deal? It's apparently possible I guess, so why do I get this lag from even just running one server?

I tried increasing ram from 3k to 5k and it didn't really change the CPU performance (didn't expect it to) so I downgraded it again.

After trying 3core and getting no real difference at all aside from maybe 5-10% cpu and just about the same amount of FPS lag, I decide I'd only run the 24 and 18 slot servers, maybe even reduce the 24 to 18 or something or just only stick with the 18. But just what do I need to support a 32 player server?

I definitely don't want a managed game server, I do most of my own modding and whatnot.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: [TF2] Want to host 3 servers, can't even get one to work

Post by soja »

Managed doesn't restrict anything related to modding your server.

Which CPU were you put on?

Which OS?

As far as populated servers, I would expect 56 slots(32+24) MAX on the 2-core plan. Running 7 servers on a 2 core is silly and will simply not be lag free if all of them were populated. a 32 bot cp_dustbowl server should run on a NFO vds at perfect performance(tested on several VDS CPUs the other day).

What are you using to determine performance?

What are your server IPs so I can check them out?

Add me on steam.
Not a NFO employee
Chdata
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Re: [TF2] Want to host 3 servers, can't even get one to work

Post by Chdata »

Resolved!

I turns out it really was just my home computer, which used to be able to handle 32 players on screen and for some reason can't anymore.