Choke Issue`

cobar
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Choke Issue`

Post by cobar »

Hello All - I'm the 'new admin' for our CS server and have a few issues.

We have a 32 player public server and everyone gets a LOT of choke during high play times? Most of us more experienced have no problems elsewhere and think we have our rates configured correctly on the client side. My ping is about 33 on average but during high play times, my choke can reach 60 or even 100. Our previous 'admin' who left was told that is from conflicting AMX plugins, but we have not installed any additional AMX plugins. It's pretty much a virgin server as it came from NFO. Any suggestions?

Second - I was told that we got a vent server with our 32 player server - Is this correct or is that additional?

Thanks,
-:3C3:- cobar
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

32-player servers are historically notorious for being VERY sensitive to rate settings on the client. This is because there's simply so much traffic that needs to flow between the server and the clients.

What you need to do is check your rate/cl_updaterate/cl_cmdrate settings. Raise the "rate" and lower the "cl_updaterate" and "cl_cmdrate" until the choke subsides.
cobar
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by cobar »

I'm familiar with that - in fact, on our server, if I have my rate set to 3500 or so - the choke is worse. I ramp rate up to 99999 and it's not as bad. My cl_updaterate and cl_cmdrate and such are no higher that 25. I need to drop those more?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Well like I said you want to use a high "rate", so it makes sense that 3500 would give you really bad choke.

cl_updaterate and cl_cmdrate should normally be OK at 25 but you might want to try lowering them or raising them to see if that helps.

Does this problem only happen at particular times of the day or on particular maps?
cobar
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by cobar »

Yea - somehow my cmdrate and update rate were at 55 - I've lowered them and am having much better success. I've notified several of the other players and so far we're having better sucess as a whole.

The problem mostly arises when the server starts getting fuller and thus more traffic b/c of the players.

I'll let you know if we continue to have issues.

Thanks for the assistance.
SippyCup
New to forums
New to forums

Post by SippyCup »

This sounds dumb, but make sure you aren't set to "56k" in your Steam settings. I had mine set on that without realizing it, and no matter what I did, I had 100 choke and decent ping. I changed it to DSL/Cable and the problem disappeared. Weird, huh?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Yes, what that option does is set your rate value for you. If you have it on 56k, it sets the rate to something very low. Low values also cause it to refresh fewer servers at once in the Steam browser.