Moving to CS:Source

sPiDeR
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Moving to CS:Source

Post by sPiDeR »

Just Curious as to what the options are going to be for switching server to CS:Source when it is finally released? I personally want to have server updated to Source the day it is released. Any information about this would be appreciated

Thanks for your time.

Spider
Lookout!!!!!.....here comes the sPiDeR-MAN
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

You will be able to change your server to CS:Source when it is released, but we do not know what the pricing will be at this point.
sPiDeR
New to forums
New to forums

Post by sPiDeR »

is it expected to be a increase in price?

Spider
sPiDeR
New to forums
New to forums

Post by sPiDeR »

ahhh....disregard above post...clearly you do not know at this point. Although i would hope there would be no increase in cost.

sPiDeR
metro
Staff
Staff

Post by metro »

One of the reasons that there may be a price increase is because the game will be running on an engine that is engineered to be run on higher end systems. This also means that the HLDS for CS:S will require more CPU usage and won't be as generous with the usage like the current HLDS. We won't be able to run as many ded's on each box so we will need to have different pricing compared to the current steam based dedicated servers.

Whether or not CS 1.6 will be phased out with CS:S is unknown to me at this point, so I cannot provide too detailed of an answer for you. Edge would be the best person to discuss the pricing with, and just keep an eye on the steampowered forums for any news that may be released, as well as the official half life 2 website.
metro @ [url=irc://irc.gamesurge.net/nfo-support]#nfo-support[/url]
Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing it's idiot...
basejumper
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by basejumper »

Thought this was interesting taken from http://www.hl2world.com/
Server Requirements for Source Engine Based Games
Posted on Friday, August 13 @ 18:37:59 EDT by feedbag

HL2World.com was recently asked about minimum server requirements for running a dedicated server for Source Engine based games. We posed the question to Gabe Newell, founder of Valve...

HL2World:Can you give me some specs on recommended minimum requirements for a dedicated server [running Source engine based games]?

Gabe Newell:They are basically the same. There's more information going across the wire but the protocol is more efficient so it ends up being a wash(about 2.4 Kbps per client if I remember correctly). CPU load is actually down quite a bit, but most servers weren't CPU bound anyhow. These numbers are for CS: Source in comparison to CS: GoldSrc.

This should be a boon to server hosts, as there should be no rush to get new equipment to update your servers to handle the slew of games running Source Engine (Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source, etc.).

Note: GoldSrc is the hl1 engine.
sPiDeR
New to forums
New to forums

Post by sPiDeR »

I came here to post that information...you saved me the time.
Thanks basejumper.

sPiDer
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

We do not know what the pricing will be, up or down, at this point. We take any information other people tell us with a grain of salt because results can vary so widely. For instance, particular maps may be bad, or adding plugins may significantly hurt performance, etc. The only way we can judge it appropriately is through testing.
Supernuker
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Supernuker »

in other words, wait and find out.
SaL
A regular
A regular

Post by SaL »

Edge100x wrote:You will be able to change your server to CS:Source when it is released, but we do not know what the pricing will be at this point.
Will NFO be offering servers for the CS:Source Beta? or are you only talking about when HALF-LIFE 2/CS:Source acyually ships.
I personally don't have the guts to gamble my eternity that the Bible might be wrong.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

We may only be selling CS:S servers after it is released.

CS:S beta is just meant by Valve to test their engine, and it has many bugs and limitations (only one map, no addon support, etc). Not only that, but Valve could discontinue it at any time.
SaL
A regular
A regular

Post by SaL »

:D :D :D Is that a Nuclearfallout test server I seen in the CS:Source server list? :D :D :D

could I be a guinea pig with my server :?: 8)
I personally don't have the guts to gamble my eternity that the Bible might be wrong.
Nick|NFo
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Nick|NFo »

SaL wrote::D :D :D Is that a Nuclearfallout test server I seen in the CS:Source server list? :D :D :D
yup 8O
-Nick
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I should probably take that down.

The win32 version of the dedicated server appears to be very deficient right now. Everyone in the server gets 80+ pings, despite the fact that it is a 5-person server on its own dual CPU machine.
SaL
A regular
A regular

Post by SaL »

Edge100x wrote:I should probably take that down.

The win32 version of the dedicated server appears to be very deficient right now. Everyone in the server gets 80+ pings, despite the fact that it is a 5-person server on its own dual CPU machine.
Yeah CS:Source looks great but it's definitely a work in progress.Ahhh I can't wait to see the finished product.

Right now aside from the server problems(pings/net code)the gameplay,weapons feel/accuracy seems really loose(I don't want to say sloppy) If it felt as tight as 1.6 that'd be sweet...I guess that's what they're working on though.