TF2 Halloween Update

vonschroeder
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

TF2 Halloween Update

Post by vonschroeder »

Per the HLDS mailing list the update was released at 7:16 PM EDT. It has now been two hours since the update was released. Any word on when the update is going to be pushed to our servers? I see numerous other servers with other hosts up and running.
Gumbie
New to forums
New to forums

Re: TF2 Halloween Update

Post by Gumbie »

Yeah it's crazy it takes over 2 hours to get our servers updated. I love nfo but come on guys, change your download server to one of the foreign servers that isn't so bogged down.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Hi,

We work on updates as soon as they are posted to Steam news. Unfortunately with updates likes this one they take a while due to there size. On top of this the Valve servers are usually overloaded which brings the process to a near standstill :/

The reason you see other providers with *some* servers up is because they allow there customers access to an update button which they spam until they get it, only adding more load to the Valve servers.

As of now the update is being rolled out internally and should be applied very soon.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
vonschroeder
New to forums
New to forums

Post by vonschroeder »

Speak of the devil. Mine just got updated now at 9:22 PM EDT.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Valve's servers were particularly slow at transferring the files tonight.

If they switch TF2 to the new steamcmd delivery mechanism, this should speed their updates considerably.
Gumbie
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Gumbie »

Edge100x wrote:Valve's servers were particularly slow at transferring the files tonight.

If they switch TF2 to the new steamcmd delivery mechanism, this should speed their updates considerably.
For future big updates is there anyway we can get the update from overseas Valve servers? On my client at home I was getting around 10k a sec from Valve's Atlanta content server but when I switched to Denmark I was getting 2.0mb a sec.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

We've tried that and it doesn't help, no. Under the older hldsupdatetool system, Valve either gives server files significantly lower priority or only serves them from a few content servers, so they don't go out as quickly as client files (at all). Their new system uses the standard client infrastructure, and runs at full speed, which is why I'd like them to transition to it.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Our server in the east coast took about an hour to download using the command line on a linux server. We were getting really frustrated in Teamspeak lol.

John, could you design it to push the updates from a NFO server? Or would doing that make it take even longer.

Ex: Single NFO server gets the update. Using that server push the update to all other nfo servers.
Not a NFO employee
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

John, could you design it to push the updates from a NFO server? Or would doing that make it take even longer.

Ex: Single NFO server gets the update. Using that server push the update to all other nfo servers.
That is basically what our system is. A single instance gets the update and then we internally roll it out to our customers.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

kraze wrote:

That is basically what our system is. A single instance gets the update and then we internally roll it out to our customers.
Oh ok, I thought it ran the command line update for each server, nevermind!
Not a NFO employee
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Oh ok, I thought it ran the command line update for each server, nevermind!
That's part of the reason these content servers are soo slow. So many companies just give there customers access to a button like that which they spam until they get a connection. Our way is much more reliable and faster in most cases.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!