Hosting a second Team Fortress 2 server.

NukaColaBomb
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Hosting a second Team Fortress 2 server.

Post by NukaColaBomb »

Hello, I currently own a virtual server that runs my Team Fortress 2 server and that is great, but the server is almost always full. I'd like to create a second one on the same machine, with the same files, so others can enjoy the experience, but I'm not sure how to do this correctly for Team Fortress 2 and not cause any problems. (I browsed for a few minutes in the forums to see if there was a guide on doing this, so there may already be a post about it.) Any help would be great, thanks!
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Hosting a second Team Fortress 2 server.

Post by kraze »

The easiest thing to do would be to download a fresh copy of the server to your VDS and copy the custom content from the popular one over to the new one.

Also what size VDS are you on? If you are near your limits adding another server could set you over the top.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

You should be able to safely copy your existing folder to a new place and run the second server from there (using a different command line and after updating its settings, of course).

There are also ways to run both servers from the same directory (using cvars like "servercfgfile" and "mapcyclefile" to allow you to specify different settings). But, this can get a bit complicated, and doesn't give the flexibility with addons that many customers need.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

If I copy a server I simply run an install for a new one, then copy the tf/cfg and tf/addons folders over. This shouldn't cause any problems and you will just need to edit the mapcycle files in the root tf directory and the server.cfg.

Each full TF2 server you should expect to use 50% of a HT core, so as kraze said, watch your resource limit.
Not a NFO employee