Player Dumps

untamed316
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Player Dumps

Post by untamed316 »

Anyone else experiencing player dumps the past week or so? I swear my server (on a VDS) empties out like 10 times a day now and the logs don't show errors. The server itself doesn't crash, everyone "times out" and the same map remains on. I've updated MM and SM to the latest and nothing seems to help.

The Christmas update from last year seemed to result in the same player dumps so it is possibly Valve's updates (although I think I may have seen this happening before Thursday's update). I just figured I'd check to see if anyone here sees the same thing happening.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Player Dumps

Post by soja »

Our dustbowl server is fine, what slot count are you running? are you getting a lot of matchmaking penalties from valve?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... -AFGJ-3513
Not a NFO employee
untamed316
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by untamed316 »

No this has nothing to do with matchmaking. I run a 24 slot vanilla server and I highly doubt player dumps would be something valve does to penalize any server. I did some alterations to the settings on one of the scramble plugins I run and I haven't seen it dump since which is a good sign. I hope that is all that was the issue was, but I really hate how valve doesn't give the modding community a heads up on what it will break with major updates.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

It would be hard to give an idea of what will break. The best method is just for developers to pay attention to releases and push out a fix that corrects any issues.

Whenever a game is opened up to modding as heavily as Valve games are issues like this are expected, it just comes with the territory.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

untamed316 wrote:No this has nothing to do with matchmaking. I run a 24 slot vanilla server and I highly doubt player dumps would be something valve does to penalize any server. I did some alterations to the settings on one of the scramble plugins I run and I haven't seen it dump since which is a good sign. I hope that is all that was the issue was, but I really hate how valve doesn't give the modding community a heads up on what it will break with major updates.
I disagree with your statement about matchmaking. My assumption was based on the information provided. Valve penalizes servers for modding out of the games recommended spec, if you have a 32 slot server for example, you can get a bad matchmaking rep and not get as much traffic, causing a few bad games to leave the server empty instead of matchmaking filling it right back up.
Not a NFO employee