Malicious Server - Cannot undo damage

reardoma
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Malicious Server - Cannot undo damage

Post by reardoma »

To all -

As one of the Roto server providers I often browse new servers that come up with roto configs to see what code they use and how well the server is running.

Long story short - ran into one that wiped my entire CFG directory destroying all key binds and inverted the mouse.

Deleting the entire CFG directory and verifying game file integrity solves 99% of the issues, however one problem remains and I've tried everything including uninstalling/reinstalling all of steam, the entire L4D game, and my mouse drivers and software.

This server admin has managed to make it such that my mouse's X axis is inverted. I'm aware of the "inverted mouse" option in keyboard/mouse settings, but that controls the Y axis. Somehow this user has managed to make the X axis inverted and I cannot get it restored to its default.

To give more detail, the X axis functions perfectly... in windows... in steam.. in the L4D game menu... but not IN GAME, regardless of the server or even if online/offline.

I suspect a trick used to make this difficult to fix, but I cannot think of it. It only happens when IN GAME.

Anyways, anyone know how I might fix this?

The server in question if you're wondering is run by a wonderful kid named Loki.

Server IP = 66.150.214.141:27015 (shadowed tombs)
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Malicious Server - Cannot undo damage

Post by soja »

Disable steam cloud sync for L4D2, and then reset all keybinds/configs.
Not a NFO employee
reardoma
New to forums
New to forums

Post by reardoma »

soja wrote:Disable steam cloud sync for L4D2, and then reset all keybinds/configs.

yup the steam cloud sync needs to be enabled both in the general settings of steam and also in-game, disable those 2 and success will be yours, great tip Soja +1 :)
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

reardoma wrote:
soja wrote:Disable steam cloud sync for L4D2, and then reset all keybinds/configs.

yup the steam cloud sync needs to be enabled both in the general settings of steam and also in-game, disable those 2 and success will be yours, great tip Soja +1 :)
Did that fix it for you?
Not a NFO employee
QOOOOOOOOQ
A regular
A regular

Post by QOOOOOOOOQ »

The owner of that server has been doing things like that for at least a year now. They use plugins to corrupt player game files at-will. The obvious solution would be to not play there, nor condone anyone you know to play there for that very same reason.
QOOOOOOOOQ
A regular
A regular

Post by QOOOOOOOOQ »

Actually, it may be against the rules.
From InterNAP:

2. "Attempt to disrupt, degrade, impair or violate the integrity or security of the Services or Infrastructure or the computers, services, accounts or networks of any other party (including, without limitation, “hacking,” “denial of service” attacks, etc.)"

I will be sending the actual methods required for this to SourceMod, so that they can take action against it, too.
$atanic $pirit
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by $atanic $pirit »

Your claim doesn't make any sense. The server you are talking about is a private server and since nobody forced you to join it. There is not much you can do against them.