L4D Servers

Bostton1
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Re: L4D Servers

Post by Bostton1 »

just got the email from you guys. great service and thanks for grandfathering all of us in.
DontWannaName
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by DontWannaName »

I dont see any other servers at 14 slots? All I see is 4 and 8 but when versus is played a 4 slot becomes 8.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I'm not sure why Valve chose 14, but that is the number that the game shows when it starts:
maxplayers set to 14
It is possible that Valve is planning to release a different game mode later that supports more players, or to add spectator slots as was speculated in another thread. It is also possible that it's just a random number :).
DontWannaName
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by DontWannaName »

"maxplayers" is "14"
"mininum_maxplayers" is "14"
"absolute_maxplayers" is "14"
"default_maxplayers" is "14"
"max_splitscreen_players" is "2"

So how does coming from the beta work? Do we need to upgrade or do we get to keep the current price?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Demo servers were automatically upgraded. The email that Bostton1 referred to was sent out to all renters right before the upgrades were completed, and it mentions that demo renters are grandfathered in at their existing rates.

You're right that the demo felt more like a beta -- it was highly buggy and ended when the game was released, two factors that aren't usually associated with true game demos. I don't know why Valve didn't use the correct term..
DontWannaName
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by DontWannaName »

Darn I should have bought more servers before the update. :P
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

And we should have probably priced those demo servers higher :?. Ah well :).
DontWannaName
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by DontWannaName »

You learn from your mistakes. I wonder what mutliplayer valve has next since Ep3 is next.
Genferret
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Genferret »

Edge100x wrote:And we should have probably priced those demo servers higher :?. Ah well :).
Talk about getting in under the wire. Just rented mine starting yesterday afternoon-ish.

From the e-mail I received when I asked about the pricing come retail I had fully expected to pay the difference once release came out. I just rented it yesterday to get a jump on messing with the config files and relearning how to do all that stuff.
Bostton1
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Bostton1 »

yeah i was expecting to pay for at least an 8 man incase we wanted to play versus.

is there anyway to make the servers run at a 66 tic, it seems the in and out are limited to 33.
Ajhax
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Ajhax »

Just to explicitly confirm: if I've ordered the 14 player package, am I able to switch between normal 4 player and 8 player versus modes at will? I don't want to go over my allotted player count, and since there's only one package I'm assuming it is ok, but I want to make sure.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

is there anyway to make the servers run at a 66 tic, it seems the in and out are limited to 33.
Valve does not currently allow these servers to run at anything higher than 30 or so tick and FPS.
Just to explicitly confirm: if I've ordered the 14 player package, am I able to switch between normal 4 player and 8 player versus modes at will? I don't want to go over my allotted player count, and since there's only one package I'm assuming it is ok, but I want to make sure.
Yes, you can. When you load a versus mode map, the game will automatically execute the "infected.cfg" file, which sets director_no_human_zombies to 0 and allows 8 players to connect. When you load a cooperative mode map, the game runs "infected_off.cfg", which sets it back to 1, changing the visible maximum number of players to 4.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I went ahead and changed the order page to show a maxplayers of 8 for L4D, since a lot of people are coming to us with questions about the use of 14. This is purely cosmetic, since the game will still not let us adjust it and uses 14 internally.
Genferret
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Genferret »

Edge100x wrote:I went ahead and changed the order page to show a maxplayers of 8 for L4D, since a lot of people are coming to us with questions about the use of 14. This is purely cosmetic, since the game will still not let us adjust it and uses 14 internally.
Not figured that one out myself. The 8 player thing I see, because watching my own server's RCON it seems to treat even the AI super infected as players in that it connects them and then disconnects them.

Even 12 I could possibly understand as there was talk in the past of 4 vs 4 with 4 spectators possible, but that still leaves 2 open spots. Unless those are for the "witch" character (which is another AI controlled character that's connected and disconnected, and I've seen up to 2 of them in a single level).
DontWannaName
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by DontWannaName »

But, once you change it to 8, you dont get a free 10 slot vent server.