Modern Warfare 2

j0rd0n420
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Modern Warfare 2

Post by j0rd0n420 »

I was planing on prolly getting a server from you guys for that game, but from what I'm reading around the internet today is that they will not be offering the ability to have dedicated servers. :x
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Modern Warfare 2

Post by Edge100x »

That seems to be the rumor swirling around today, and we all hope it's not true, because it would mean very bad things for the future of CoD.

One of the reasons we have never offered preorders is that we can never be certain that we'll be able to run dedicated servers when the game is released. (It's bitten a lot of other companies in the butt before, so I'm surprised anyone still does it.)
j0rd0n420
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by j0rd0n420 »

Yeah, I'm hoping it's not true or just some confusion because the game looks great.
AstroZombie
A regular
A regular

Post by AstroZombie »

Now this may be like L4D were we still have private servers that we can go too, I guess more info will be coming out, but are they really ending dedicated servers?

In a webcast this morning, Robert Bowling revealed the existence of IWNet, a matchmaking service Infinity Ward will operate beginning with Modern Warfare 2. But it ends dedicated servers, and fundamentally changes the culture of the game's PC community.

Bowling, the Infinity Ward community manager, said IWNet makes multiplayer more accessible to the PC community on Modern Warfare 2, replacing the need for dedicated servers that are hosted and managed by players. But the hardcore PC crowd to whom he was talking, on BASHandSlash.com's webcast, did not take the news in a completely positive light.

http://kotaku.com/5384057/new-modern-wa ... e=true&s=x
"Frag the weak, hurdle the dead."
Good judgment comes from experience…and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

L4D servers are all dedicated, which is why they run so well. Valve runs some of them, and the community as a whole fills in with the rest.

IW seems to be talking about matchmaking in a different sense -- the original console sense, with listen servers automatically spawned by individual clients. The performance of such servers is notoriously hit and miss, unfortunately.