CoD: Black Ops servers not available here?????

IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Re: CoD: Black Ops servers not available here?????

Post by IcEWoLF »

Gameservers.com is a huge GSP, and because they have so many servers and players on their network they probably had enough money to throw at activision for a timed exclusivity.
My guess is anywhere from 100,000$+.
They will earn thousands of new customers soon....which is wow.
PowersGaming
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by PowersGaming »

Edge100x wrote:There's no question this (if it turns out as announced) will be a massive, massive win for GS, though. They could easily grow tenfold, based on the news out there that they will be running all servers, even ones used for matchmaking and on the console. I'm sure they're popping the champagne over there right now.
I dunno about that... I'd hate to land that contract. Massive growth doesn't always equate to massive profit margins; we're talking about a demand factor that encompasses every possible CoD:BO gamer on this planet.

Also, I don't think there's any possible way that one sole GSP can provide an awesome connection, with great service, to this entire planet. Guess we'll have to wait and see...

As it stands now, they've offered 18 locations total:
http://www.gameservers.com/blackops/
abcclanadmin
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by abcclanadmin »

FTC Complaint filed. IF we can get a lot of people to do this it may make a difference. It will certainly be more effective than any type of boycott, seeing as how that was tried with MW2 and we all know what a massive FAIL that was. Maybe this will do some good. If you guys file a complaint, do it against Activision. In the end, they're the ones that made the decision to go exclusivly with GS. GS probably offered or "sold" themselves to Activision, but the ultimate control was up to Activision.
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

IcEWoLF wrote:Gameservers.com is a huge GSP, and because they have so many servers and players on their network they probably had enough money to throw at activision for a timed exclusivity.
My guess is anywhere from 100,000$+.
They will earn thousands of new customers soon....which is wow.
It's going to be a huge fail. Their servers are actually crap. I can't imagine how their serves and network are gonna handle this.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

In my experience with Gameservers.com they suck. Their support is low quality and their servers aren't that good. It's not that their equipment is bad it's that they overload boxes way to much. Now I personally think GS.com will do fine with being the only provider after time goes on. Their is no way in the first couple weeks or month they will be able to handle the 3000+ orders for the servers. for one company to grow 3000+ customers/servers in one day is crazy. I am very sure and confident that servers will experience lag and delayed server set up/support time until all the kinks are worked out. Take BC2. GS.com couldn't even handle the beta servers without lag...
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

kraze wrote:In my experience with Gameservers.com they suck. Their support is low quality and their servers aren't that good. It's not that their equipment is bad it's that they overload boxes way to much. Now I personally think GS.com will do fine with being the only provider after time goes on. Their is no way in the first couple weeks or month they will be able to handle the 3000+ orders for the servers. for one company to grow 3000+ customers/servers in one day is crazy. I am very sure and confident that servers will experience lag and delayed server set up/support time until all the kinks are worked out. Take BC2. GS.com couldn't even handle the beta servers without lag...
I'm not sure if they have good hardware or not. Their backbone providers for the most part are cheap ones, like Mzima, Nlayer, etc. Here at NFO, John uses Internap (one of the best I've ever seen). So even if their hardware is half descent, their network is crap. I ping 60 to any Seattle based GS server. My VDS on the other hand, I get 25 ping. I could go on and on, but basically what I'm saying is that GS is in for a huge crash and burn.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

They will experience problems no doubt. I wouldn't go as far as crash and burn.. Their servers are great quality though. latest Intel Xeon processors with 24Gb of ram. You know along with the 3000+ servers being ordered they will also need more staff. Their staff as it is can barely keep up. I have also seen people and GSP's trying to negotiate with Activision to sell BO but thats a lost koz The contract has been signed and the deal is done. Until we get Activision out of the equation of Call of Duty series each new game is going to be messed up. I am hopping that lawsuit that the Heads at Infinity ward filed will favor in them and then Respawn entertainment can finally start brining us quality work!
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
CrAzD
New to forums
New to forums

Post by CrAzD »

They can have the best hardware in the world, but when everything is overloaded to such an extent that it makes the hardware equal to shit you get out of a crackerjack box your doing it wrong.
PowersGaming
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by PowersGaming »

Bobby Kotick... The guy who runs Activision, is a freak of nature, as is that whole company. What he (they) did to Infinity Ward says it all. Now that company is toast, and MW3 is on permanent hold with a mountain of lawsuits piled on top. Aren't familiar with this story ? Google "Infiinity Ward Meltdown" or Click Here.

Doesn't surprise me in the least that Activision would do something like this with Black Ops; Kotick is the biggest control freak on the planet. It's all about corporate greed run amok and this guy thinks he can do w/e he wants.

Gameservers might be the "exclusive" host for Black Ops, but it turns out that they've now given Games.On.Net "exclusive" hosting rights to all servers in Australia b/c GS knows they can't handle demand in that area. Source GS can't handle Southeast Asia either; no idea what's going to happen there.

This whole debacle is a joke tbh, and it has to negatively effect sales.
abcclanadmin
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by abcclanadmin »

I strongly agree. I think they have grossly underestimated how big of a cluster screw this is going to be. It would not surprise me to have the game opened up to all server providers after a month or two.
Dog_Pound
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Dog_Pound »

Complaint filed with the FTC on behalf of the EasyCoy community. This is utter nonsense. I am at NFO and not GS because I want, and my community expects, high quality servers and services. To be forced to use this low end provider really has my back up. I predict a massive mess and a resounding number of complaints from gamers when this game is released. No one will know if it is crappy code from the game causing the problem or the over stuffed boxes and lousy net provided by GS. grrrrr
PowersGaming
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by PowersGaming »

Dog_Pound wrote:No one will know if it is crappy code from the game causing the problem or the over stuffed boxes and lousy net provided by GS. grrrrr
Good point... This is going to come back and bite Activision in the arse. I just hope EA doesn't adopt this idiocy with the release of BF3. :roll:
WickedRadio.ORG
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by WickedRadio.ORG »

It's really sad when a company sells out, this is going to make the game at lot less enjoyable, but I guess its all about the dollar dollar bills ya'll...
BioShock
A regular
A regular

Post by BioShock »

I sent a complaint so hopefully more people will do the same i hate gameserver's they are garbage i have been with NFO for 5 years now even though this is my first post on here pretty sad but i was talking with brendan and he sent me a link to this topic and i am glad he did, ty John for the service you provide and hopefully one day i can work for NFO.
TomsSound
New to forums
New to forums

Post by TomsSound »

Sent my complaint in to the FTC.