Black Ops 2 server for comp

lovett003
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Black Ops 2 server for comp

Post by lovett003 »

hey, from what i hear, black ops 2 is suppose to have listen servers for competitive play, and the devs have said

"Then rent a server in a data center and run your host from there. You can rdc the host to setup the match."
https://twitter.com/pcdev/status/258037205434527744

Will this work on a VPS? How does this exactly work?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Black Ops 2 server for comp

Post by Edge100x »

I don't think it will. But, we will have to see, I guess. It will only work the way they suggest if they do not require a 3D accelerator to launch the game.
ucjohn
New to forums
New to forums

Post by ucjohn »

They keep changing this I got this off the site so this is official!

What are the Minimum System Requirements?
CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E8200 2.66 GHz or AMD Phenom X3 8750 2.4 GHz
Memory: 2GB for 32-bit OS or 4GB for 64-bit OS
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800GT 512 MB or ATI Radeon HD 3870 512 M
Can I run the game on Windows XP?
No, sorry. Since we upgraded the engine to use DirectX11, Windows XP is no longer supported. It requires Windows Vista or later.
Will the game actually be playable on my minimum spec machine?
Absolutely. We have tested extensively on a variety of hardware and we are very confident in the performance even at the minimum specs.
What engine is used for Black Ops II?
The Black Ops II engine builds upon the Black Ops engine with a number of improvements including performance optimizations, enhanced graphics, and proprietary anti-cheat technology.
What performance optimizations have you introduced for Black Ops II?
Performance has been a top priority for Black Ops II PC from day one and we have achieved significant improvements. We’ve improved the way the engine handles multiple threads. Additionally, we moved the engine from DX9 to DX11. The DX11 API is leaner than DX9 and requires less CPU time to do the same amount of work. It is important to point out that this benefits the entire range of supported GPUs, not just DX11 hardware. We have also added more “quality vs performance” options than ever before so you can customize your experience to either run faster or to satisfy your taste in eye candy.
You mentioned enhanced graphics for the PC version. Can you tell us more about that?
Black Ops II PC features enhanced lighting, shadows, antialiasing, bloom, depth of field, ambient occlusion, and other enhanced effects that are still in the works. And the game can run at higher resolutions and higherframerates on the PC.
Will there be a framerate cap?
No. Unless you want one. We have included an adjustable FPS cap slider in the game options. The minimum setting is OFF (no cap).

What anti-cheat will be used?
Anti-cheat is a top priority for Call of Duty®: Black Ops II. We have developed our own proprietary server-side anti-cheat technology which will work alongside VAC to deliver the most advanced detection and banning capabilities of any Call of Duty game to date. We have also improved our player reporting system to make it the most effective way that you can help us catch cheaters. And starting on launch day we will have a full-time dedicated pc anti-cheat team focused solely on detecting and banning cheaters. We have a zero tolerance policy on cheating. Cheaters bans are permanent.

Will Black Ops have Matchmaking or Dedicated Servers?
Both! Call of Duty®: Black Ops II PC combines matchmaking with secure ranked dedicated servers. This means that you get into Public Matches or League Play via matchmaking lobbies. It is easy to party up and play with your friends. You can adjust your classes or scorestreaks between matches. It also means that every Public or League match is hosted on a dedicated server running in one of our high bandwidth datacenters around the globe.

Will you release the server files?
No. We are keeping the server files secure to protect the game from hacking and cheating and ensure the ranking and progression system integrity.

Can I rent a server?
No. We are providing a huge number of servers around the world at no extra charge – plenty for everyone to enjoy. And we will administer the servers.

Will there be mod tools?
No. As we continually improve and advance our in-house tools for our own content teams we are unable to provide consumer tools due to increased technical requirements, licensing restrictions, and technology dependencies.

So all in all I will probably not spend my money on this game till it comes on sale or drops in price..
xDizzy
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by xDizzy »

They can't stop hackers, I guess we'll just have to wait and see how most of this "looking down server files" works out. I really don't like the idea, you have no admin privileges i can go on and say why I think it is a fail to the pc community in particular but I'm tired of repeating it. :/

What you posted is what the thread starter is asking about and what edge posted is a valid answer to what he's asking, the info you posted does not have anything relating to if the listen servers can be hosted of this and that because we do not know if it will require hardware with a 3D accelerator to launch the game.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

For the heck of it I asked the dev if he could clarify what he meant, no reply though :/

He is correct though, if you were to rent a VPS with a 3D accelerator you could just install the game and host a match from it. Unfortunately not many companies offer those and if they do you will most likely pay good money for it.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
lovett003
New to forums
New to forums

Post by lovett003 »

ok so being very newb, i had to look up VPS with 3D acceleration. From some other forum, they said this
"Most VPS come with 3D acceleration, otherwise it can be activated in the virtualization panel. Take a look at the ads forums and contact the provider you like."
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1010047

Does NFO have this? Thanks for all the responses.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

They are probably thinking of the on board GPU, mostly found within CPU's in the server environment. Those are not strong enough and missing some features to be able to run games like COD from them.

As on board GPU's get better and better, eventually all server environments will have them but for now there isn't to much of a need for them.

Take a look at DeanoC reply, he explains a little better.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I'm not sure what that Deroba fellow is smoking -- very, very few VPSes come with 3D acceleration, and it's not something that can usually just be flipped on. Typically it requires a specialized configuration with pass-through to a dedicated graphics card, as DeanoC indicated, and usually it's designed around scientific/specialized calculations and not meant for running video games. It is not a service that we offer or are likely to offer in the near future.