Managed Machine Permissions

grrman
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Managed Machine Permissions

Post by grrman »

I've been thinking about buying a managed virtual or full machine from NFO but I wasn't sure if that allows you to replace the mp.dll/cs.so and swds.dll/engine_i486.so files. I've heard mixed reports on this. Will it be supported at any point in the future if it isn't already?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Managed Machine Permissions

Post by Edge100x »

We do not officially support replacing included game libraries or executables on our managed services, because such behavior is not supported by game developers, doing so fundamentally changes the game, and those files are replaced by our system in repairs/creations. This is in contrast to standard plugins, which extend and change the game's properties without requiring alteration of its included files.

That said, if you only want a different gamedll to load, we do have a KB article about it here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4913. It's still unsupported to do this, but that is how you would go about it. For example, that would work for installing sevs or the AVC mod for TFC.

If you wish to replace default game libraries or executables, you might consider an unmanaged service.
grrman2
New to forums
New to forums

Post by grrman2 »

The managed service is what makes NFO an attractive option for me.

I would not be expecting support for any game server that has those files replaced. I am also aware that your system will replace those files during repairs/creations. I do not plan to run any repairs, nor would I have any issue replacing those files again if a time comes where I need to run an automated repair. It's not that big of a hassle, we're talking about no more than two files.

These files include a ton of bug fixes and much better server stability and performance. Along with improved server modding tools. It's too much of an improvement in every aspect to ignore.

Having said all that, would I be given delete/write permission, or in other words permission to replace those (two) files if I email support after purchasing a virtual/full server? While fully understanding I would not get support for any issues that may arise from replacing those files.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

That is not something that we could support at this time, no.