A Few Questions.

FNBio
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

A Few Questions.

Post by FNBio »

I want to rent an NFo server, since NFo completely blows away majority of other hosting providers. However, I have a bunch of questions that I would like to be answered before I go on with purchasing the server.

1) I've played on a few Chicago servers, and they give an awful lot of choke, lag, and crashes recently. Why is this?

2) See, Chicago would be the most convenient location for my clan, since most of us are central, but if all the Chicago servers which belong to other teams lag really bad, what is the guarantee that mine won't?

3) I would like to have a trial of an NY server, and then a trial of a Chicago server, after which I want to pick the one that gives us better ping and ms. Is that possible at NFo?

4) I realize that NFo has the most advanced servers, connections, and customer support. However a lot of servers constantly crash. Is this a minor issue, and if so, when will it be fixed?

Thanks in advance.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: A Few Questions.

Post by Edge100x »

FNBio wrote:1) I've played on a few Chicago servers, and they give an awful lot of choke, lag, and crashes recently. Why is this?
I haven't been hearing complaints, and in fact our Chicago location is growing much faster than our others. Could you email us details of your experiences, including the server you are having problems with and your tracert's to it?
2) See, Chicago would be the most convenient location for my clan, since most of us are central, but if all the Chicago servers which belong to other teams lag really bad, what is the guarantee that mine won't?
I can't answer that without seeing the data. We aren't having overall problems in Chicago, though. Some possibilities are that the server you are playing on is running old plugins that are not compatible with the just-released CS:S version (if it's CS:S), and that your ISP is having some problems (many ISPs have been having issues lately on the East coast, most notably Comcast, Adelphia, and Shaw).
3) I would like to have a trial of an NY server, and then a trial of a Chicago server, after which I want to pick the one that gives us better ping and ms. Is that possible at NFo?
Yes; you can change your server as much as you'd like during the free trial period without being charged.
4) I realize that NFo has the most advanced servers, connections, and customer support. However a lot of servers constantly crash. Is this a minor issue, and if so, when will it be fixed?
Our server hardware is actually very stable (because it is designed to be that way, with a price tag to match), as are most of the games we host in their default state. However, plugins can make any server unstable. They are notoriously bad for CS:S; I can't think of a CS:S plugin offhand that is as stable as any of the long-established CS 1.6 plugins (admin mod, AMX, AMXModX, and even HLGuard). Mani mod has been particularly troublesome, since the focus seems to be on integrating new features (and it has a ton) and not on stability.
FNBio
New to forums
New to forums

Post by FNBio »

I am not worried about plugins, since I am getting a private 11slot. And the bad experiences were only recent. We've scrimmed several clans that advertise their nfo accelerated chicago servers, and 60% of those servers had lag spikes and/or crashes in mid scrim. I doubt that it has anything to do with my ISP, since everyone crashed.

My ISP is optonline, and since I'm running a router, I cannot do any ping tests or tracert's. However I can ask one of my clan members to do it next time we scrim.

My usual down and up speeds range from 10-15mb down / 1.2-2.5mb up.

The lag spikes couldn't possibly be related to my ISP.

If you don't mind, could I ask for full specs on the machines you place your Hyperaccelerated 100 tick privates on?

Thanks in advance.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

FNBio wrote:And the bad experiences were only recent. We've scrimmed several clans that advertise their nfo accelerated chicago servers, and 60% of those servers had lag spikes and/or crashes in mid scrim.
I have not heard these problems from customers. I would need these clans to work with us to try to determine what is going on.

It is particularly odd that crashing would be reported. Actual server crashing would be a hardware problem and not the result of an overloaded machine, and we would typically see it in the graphs if it were happening to multiple servers.
I doubt that it has anything to do with my ISP, since everyone crashed.
It could be an NSP or InterNAP problem, but if there were such a global issue, we would typically see it in our graphs.

It's very difficult to troubleshoot this sort of issue in a forums post with a non-renter. We need to be talking to the renter while a problem is occurring to be able to investigate properly.
If you don't mind, could I ask for full specs on the machines you place your Hyperaccelerated 100 tick privates on?
We use many different machines at each location, and servers are automatically load-balanced between them as necessary. For the specs on the machine hosting a particular server, please visit that server's "Health" tab.
FNBio
New to forums
New to forums

Post by FNBio »

I've recently come across another issue concerning the purchase of a server.

Is it possible to split the amount my clan will pay per month electronically? As in, one of my clan members pays around 25$ directly towards the server, and I'll cover the rest? Something like ClanPay.
bOoya
Former staff
Former staff

Post by bOoya »

The only way you would be able to do something like that is on your own.

For example, your clanmates send money into your paypal account each month and the server is then paid for from your paypal account. You could cancel the subscription after the first payment to ensure that if your clanmates do not meet thier quotas then the server will go down (and then once the quota is met, you re-activate the subscription untill the next month) or somesuch.
FNBio
New to forums
New to forums

Post by FNBio »

I have ordered a server for the 2 day trial.. 24 hours ago, and it still wasn't set up.

Please look into this ASAP.
FNBio
New to forums
New to forums

Post by FNBio »

Oh and umm, the identifier is friction
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

You have not yet signed up for the subscription in Paypal.

Please reread the email our systems sent you and then use the Paypal free trial link included in the email.
FNBio
New to forums
New to forums

Post by FNBio »

Ok, I've done that today. =D

Please activate my server ^^
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

It's all automatic. After you sign up in Paypal, our systems will create the server within just a few minutes and then email you.
schlafen
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by schlafen »

If you haven't finished ordering yet, use xxx as your referrer :-D. Thanks.

Sleeper
Nick|NFo
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Nick|NFo »

He already ordered his server and please refrain from using these forums to boost your referral credits.
-Nick