A few small questions

iom3ga
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

A few small questions

Post by iom3ga »

1rst.
I'm not even sure if this is really a problem or its mandatory to all servers but I've noticed that a few things in my Counter Strike 1.6 server.cfg always seems to reset back to the way it was. Is this normal?
// important settings inserted by NFo
sys_ticrate 10000
max_queries_sec_global 150
max_queries_sec 3
sv_stats 0
mapchangecfgfile "server.cfg"
I'm unable to change any of that.

2nd.
I've also noticed that my public server (redefine,) is being run on Dual Intel Xeon x5355 (Clovertown 2.66ghz) processors and 6 gigabytes of RAM, while my private server (redefinition,) is ran on a Dual Intel Xeon 5160 (Woodcrest 3.0ghz) processors and 4 gigabytes of RAM. Are only publics running Xeon x5355s?

3rd.
Another thing I've noticed, both of my servers have been empty between 12 am - 12 pm, yet the cpu usage my private stays up to 10%+ while the public is currently at 0.21%. What could possible be using up the machines cpu?

Last question.
This is concerning HLTV, when ever I record a demo, and then stoprecording, where does the demo save to? I can't locate it anywhere.

Thanks, Tony
NFO has the greatest support from all the server hostings I've been with. And I've giving you guys alot of shit lately ;).
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: A few small questions

Post by Edge100x »

iom3ga wrote:1rst.
I'm not even sure if this is really a problem or its mandatory to all servers but I've noticed that a few things in my Counter Strike 1.6 server.cfg always seems to reset back to the way it was. Is this normal?
// important settings inserted by NFo
sys_ticrate 10000
max_queries_sec_global 150
max_queries_sec 3
sv_stats 0
mapchangecfgfile "server.cfg"
Yes. We reset these svars each morning because servers need to have the correct FPS (sys_ticrate), we need to be able to query them even under heavy usage (max_queries_) and we want to avoid long-term higher CPU usage (sv_stats).

If you need an exception for one of these adjustments for your server, please email us and we can discuss it with you.
I've also noticed that my public server (redefine,) is being run on Dual Intel Xeon x5355 (Clovertown 2.66ghz) processors and 6 gigabytes of RAM, while my private server (redefinition,) is ran on a Dual Intel Xeon 5160 (Woodcrest 3.0ghz) processors and 4 gigabytes of RAM. Are only publics running Xeon x5355s?
No. We run all types of servers on all types of machines.
Another thing I've noticed, both of my servers have been empty between 12 am - 12 pm, yet the cpu usage my private stays up to 10%+ while the public is currently at 0.21%. What could possible be using up the machines cpu?
On a Linux machine, empty servers use more CPU at all times. We're not entirely sure why.
This is concerning HLTV, when ever I record a demo, and then stoprecording, where does the demo save to? I can't locate it anywhere.
The demo should be saved to the folder corresponding to the game type you were recording. Since you have a "cstrike" server, you'd find it in the "cstrike" folder. If you wait more than an hour to download it, you will probably find it in zipped form.
NFO has the greatest support from all the server hostings I've been with. And I've giving you guys alot of shit lately ;).
Thanks ;)
iom3ga
New to forums
New to forums

Post by iom3ga »

Edge100x wrote: Yes. We reset these svars each morning because servers need to have the correct FPS (sys_ticrate), we need to be able to query them even under heavy usage (max_queries_) and we want to avoid long-term higher CPU usage (sv_stats).

If you need an exception for one of these adjustments for your server, please email us and we can discuss it with you.
Ahh, question solved, Thank you.
Edge100x wrote:No. We run all types of servers on all types of machines.
Oh, so is it possible to change machines for one of our servers? Like I realized that after renting a few servers from you guys, it might be me but linux seems to give me and my clan mates alot of choke and loss compared to windows. Is there anyone to change my private to windows on the x5355?
1000fps high priority 1.6 server
Edge100x wrote: On a Linux machine, empty servers use more CPU at all times. We're not entirely sure why.
Rofl
Edge100x wrote: The demo should be saved to the folder corresponding to the game type you were recording. Since you have a "cstrike" server, you'd find it in the "cstrike" folder. If you wait more than an hour to download it, you will probably find it in zipped form.
I've been recording and saving and it doesnt save into any of the folders, ive check all of them even the other games and nothing.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

iom3ga wrote:Oh, so is it possible to change machines for one of our servers? Like I realized that after renting a few servers from you guys, it might be me but linux seems to give me and my clan mates alot of choke and loss compared to windows. Is there anyone to change my private to windows on the x5355?
1000fps high priority 1.6 server
It's more likely to be due to the high FPS rate than the OS, because in general we've seen Linux perform better than Windows, and many people do tend to see more choke with 1000 FPS servers (due to the higher data and packet rates). Have you tried lowering the FPS down temporarily through the Server control tab?

Windows machines can't support 1000 FPS servers, so you'd need to downgrade to the hyperaccelerator to run on one.
I've been recording and saving and it doesnt save into any of the folders, ive check all of them even the other games and nothing.
You should contact our staff directly so that we can take a look at your individual case and see where the hangup might be.
iom3ga
New to forums
New to forums

Post by iom3ga »

Edge100x wrote: It's more likely to be due to the high FPS rate than the OS, because in general we've seen Linux perform better than Windows, and many people do tend to see more choke with 1000 FPS servers (due to the higher data and packet rates). Have you tried lowering the FPS down temporarily through the Server control tab?

Windows machines can't support 1000 FPS servers, so you'd need to downgrade to the hyperaccelerator to run on one.
I've had it at 500 FPS two days ago and it had the same problem, choke and loss when cpu usage was at 15-20%+. The FPS didn't effect it at all, it was just the server it self and the cpu usage that kept on rising on a regular basis for no reason what so ever. We sent a message concerning the issue over Live Chat and we did what they told us to, restart server and keep a good cycle of maps every hour or so.
About a month back when I had a 500 FPS on a windows os, it never had a problem, even when i upgraded to 1000 FPS but that was back when you guys had issues with comcast.
Edge100x wrote: You should contact our staff directly so that we can take a look at your individual case and see where the hangup might be.
I'll contact you guys about this if I can't figure it out.

Thanks for quick replies edge100x, you must have no life ;) jkjk
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

iom3ga wrote: I've had it at 500 FPS two days ago and it had the same problem, choke and loss when cpu usage was at 15-20%+. The FPS didn't effect it at all, it was just the server it self and the cpu usage that kept on rising on a regular basis for no reason what so ever. We sent a message concerning the issue over Live Chat and we did what they told us to, restart server and keep a good cycle of maps every hour or so.
About a month back when I had a 500 FPS on a windows os, it never had a problem, even when i upgraded to 1000 FPS but that was back when you guys had issues with comcast.
Hmm. Since you didn't have problems at 1000 FPS before, and that was a Linux machine also, there may be something more sinister at work here. Please send us an email at rentals @ nuclearfallout.net and I'll run some more extensive tests for you. We can also try moving you to a different Linux machine, since sometimes Source randomly starts performing badly for some customers and a machine switch or server reset fixes it. (Don't know why on that either.)
Thanks for quick replies edge100x, you must have no life ;) jkjk
This isn't true, but I type all of these replies straight from the club, between grindings! :P
iom3ga
New to forums
New to forums

Post by iom3ga »

Edge100x wrote: Hmm. Since you didn't have problems at 1000 FPS before, and that was a Linux machine also, there may be something more sinister at work here. Please send us an email at rentals @ nuclearfallout.net and I'll run some more extensive tests for you. We can also try moving you to a different Linux machine, since sometimes Source randomly starts performing badly for some customers and a machine switch or server reset fixes it. (Don't know why on that either.)
Alright ill send an email right now, thanks edge100x.