Server FPS/Settings vs. Client Settings

nexus1g
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Server FPS/Settings vs. Client Settings

Post by nexus1g »

I've been wondering about this for some time. I've always gone for the 250 FPS server because I've never seen a different between 250 FPS and 1000 FPS. I got to thinking that since 1000 FPS is the server setting, and the client can request an unlimited number of updates depending on the user's settings, would it be beneficial to limit on the server the updaterate to 100 and thus would it allow, in a 10-man game, each player to have a dedicated 100 FPS? Would this increase everyone's performance on the server rather than leaving it fairly unmoderated?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Server FPS/Settings vs. Client Settings

Post by Edge100x »

With Source/Orangebox/L4D, the maximum updaterate is the server's tickrate, so setting sv_maxupdaterate to anything higher than that makes no difference, and we recommend going no lower.

On HLDS (CS 1.6, TFC, DoD, CZ, etc) I do not think that it would increase performance overall to limit the sv_maxupdaterate, since it is better for each client to get the updated data as soon as it can and doing so does not hurt server performance (the server is already recalculating the entire world each frame). But you can adjust sv_maxupdaterate if you'd like to experiment.