Counter Strike 1.6 installed maps question

UnknownStuntman
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Counter Strike 1.6 installed maps question

Post by UnknownStuntman »

I noticed that the servers come with a ton of maps preinstalled, however I'm running a 24/7 Assault with the occasional jump to UPC. What I'm wondering is if it's even worthwhile or helpful to the server/machine to remove all unused maps and their associated files from the server? I usually clean up the cstrike>logs folder once a week, figuring every little bit helps. Does it actually help, or is it just a waste of time?
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Re: Counter Strike 1.6 installed maps question

Post by TimeX »

It doesn't really help since all those files do is take up a bit of disk space and are not accessed by the server.

The idea of deleting old log files and such comes from long ago when servers were often hosted on home computers running Windows 98SE, with many players still on dailup. Back then, drive speed and space, fragmentation, and so forth was a much larger problem for those systems. Server hardware passed those problems a very long time ago.
TimeX
UnknownStuntman
New to forums
New to forums

Re: Counter Strike 1.6 installed maps question

Post by UnknownStuntman »

Thanks TimeX, I had a feeling you were going to say something along those lines. I guess keeping it clean only makes it faster for me to backup the FTP to my computer. I know there's automatic backups, but I like having my own as well 8)