Windows hyperaccelerated

hlds_noob
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Windows hyperaccelerated

Post by hlds_noob »

When running HLDS on a windows platform with the hyperaccelerator option, does HLDS run at a sustained 512 FPS, or Does the FPS drop as clients join the server ?
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Re: Windows hyperaccelerated

Post by TimeX »

FPS wouldn't drop as players join, unless there is a problem with the server. The FPS should stay very close to 500 FPS.
TimeX
hlds_noob
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by hlds_noob »

Okay, because I know while running HLDS on Linux, you have to use sys_ticrate 900 with -pingboost 3 to keep the server at a sustained 500 FPS.

My next questions are,

#1: What is the better way to go, if I want to maintain a constant sustained 500 FPS, Linux or windows ?

#2: Which OS would be less CPU intensive ?

#3: When running windows, Does NFOservers use a high res timer to maintain a sustained 512 FPS ?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

hlds_noob wrote:Okay, because I know while running HLDS on Linux, you have to use sys_ticrate 900 with -pingboost 3 to keep the server at a sustained 500 FPS.
I recommend against using -pingboost 3. -pingboost 2 usually works best, on Linux. On Windows, the game works better out of the box.
#1: What is the better way to go, if I want to maintain a constant sustained 500 FPS, Linux or windows ?
If CPU usage isn't a concern, our managed Linux option will maintain the FPS the best, thanks to the FPS Locker we use. Otherwise, Windows would be best.
#2: Which OS would be less CPU intensive ?
Any Windows version.
#3: When running windows, Does NFOservers use a high res timer to maintain a sustained 512 FPS ?
To run at 500+ FPS, the Windows multimedia timer has to be enabled, using a program like srcdsfpsboost. We use one of these programs, yes.
hlds_noob
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by hlds_noob »

Thanks for the reply. The reason I asked, is that the last time I was with NFO, my Linux managed server at 10000 sys_ticrate and -pingboost2 ran at an initial 1000FPS, and then dropped when clients started to enter the server.

It eventually got down to under 200 FPS at times.

I'd like to run a DoD server that will run at a constant 500 to 1000 FPS even when there's 24 players in it.

I run about 90 amxmodx plugins, but 83 of them are only running when a function is called by an admin, so that's not an issue.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

If it drops from 1000, that is very likely due to a plugin hogging CPU power. On modern hardware, the game itself uses very little CPU.
hlds_noob
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by hlds_noob »

So on windows 2008 with HPET, I can run the server at 1000 FPS, correct ?

And will that be a constant 1000 FPS or an initial, and then it will drop as players enter the server. ?
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

The only case of the FPS dropping like that would be what John was talking about above. If you are running the default game by itself, it will be fine, but custom mods/plugins are hard to predict.
TimeX
hlds_noob
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by hlds_noob »

Well that's the thing, when I was last with NFO I tried just running a straight DoD1.3 server with nothing else, and the FPS drops and does not remain constant.

While running Linux, sys_ticrate 10000, and -pingboost 2, once players started to join the server. the FPS started dropping and eventually went down to below 200.
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

That shouldn't be happening, especially with our current systems. If you see this happen, please bring it to our attention so that we can investigate the problem. That is what we have a performance guarantee for. :wink:
TimeX
hlds_noob
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by hlds_noob »

Okay, so my last question before renting a new DoD server is, Can I run a constant 1000 FPS server on windows ?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

On a VDS? Most likely, but I have not tested it sufficiently to be able to make a guarantee.
hlds_noob
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by hlds_noob »

I have another question.

I have been testing Windows VS Linux Servers and when recording demos, I have found that the DEMOS become corrupted when running HLDS on any linux platform.

Valve will not address this question from the steam support site.

I went into 15 different servers this a week, and recorded demos in all of them, then replayed the demo using "playdemo". All of the windows server demo's played back with no problems at all.

The Linux server demos played back with missing sand bag models, garbled voice from the players.
In some Linux servers, almost all of the players showed up as being in spectator, and when they spoke, the voice icon was yellow as well.

I used three different computers to record these demos, so it is not my computers. It has to be linux.

In closing: I want to be able to run HLDS at a constant 1000 FPS on a windows OS.
If not 1000fps, a constant 750FPS minimum.

Can you provide this ?, if so I need two servers. One DoD1.3 and one CS.16 ASAP.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

That's an interesting problem with their Linux build. I had not heard that before, but not a whole lot of customers are recording demos on Linux here.

A Windows 2008 R2 server with HPET enabled would be your best bet for 1000fps-but-not-Linux. Since we don't run 1000fps servers on Windows in our shared or managed system, I can't provide hard performance data on how much they fluctuate, however.
hlds_noob
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by hlds_noob »

I need the ability to record good demos.

I run a plugin that auto records HLTV demos whenever certain key words are spoken, or whenever a certain steam-id enters my servers. I also want to record demos of myself playing and I want to hear myself talking to my clan mates, and HLTV is the only way to do that. I guess I'll be switching to Windows 2008. Thanks John.