Random bad quality lately on Murmur server

not-tu
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Random bad quality lately on Murmur server

Post by not-tu »

For the past 2-3 weeks, hard to keep track, my Murmur server has been experiencing some really random spurts of bad quality. Everyone ends up sounding like robots to everyone and sometimes a few people (rarely everyone) will be kicked but immediately reconnect.

The ping is always listed as fine, so I'm not sure if its packet loss or if the CPU is getting taxed really hard by something else in those random spurts. Could even be a network issue at the datacenter?

It lasts for usually 30 seconds to a little over a minute.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Random bad quality lately on Murmur server

Post by kraze »

Where is your server located and have you noticed any pattern in these spurts of bad quality? Such as it happening more towards the evening or after X amount of people have joined?
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
not-tu
New to forums
New to forums

Post by not-tu »

It's in Los Angeles. There's no pattern with number of people. It can happen with just 3 or with 5-8. We usually only use it in the evening and night so I can't say if it happens in the day or not.
not-tu
New to forums
New to forums

Post by not-tu »

Also its not super constant. I'd say it happens a handful of times a day.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

The next time it happens open a request via the "help" tab in your control panel so we can take a deeper look for you.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Some customers in LA have been seeing more frequent DDoS attacks recently that have been large enough to cause very brief packet loss events and require automatic null-routing. We make events log posts whenever an event causes usage to dip and triggers an alarm, but it is possible that Murmur is particularly sensitive and you are seeing the issue in it even when we don't.

We have communicated to Internap the need for further upgrades to their network and we are working with them to mitigate these attacks in other ways. The attack vector is the same one that was used early this year.
PowersGaming
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by PowersGaming »

We're in Dallas (Internap) and had problems last night; half the guys got disconnected and then auto reconnected after a couple of seconds. CPanel says DDoS... This happened on the 3rd, 6th and again last night. It's only for like 30 seconds or so. I appreciate you guys letting us know what's happening (emails); just wondering if we can get this locked down in the future...
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

We're perpetually fighting (D)DoS attacks on behalf of our customers, both the ones being targeted and the others at each location who might be hurt as a result of collateral damage. We have put an incredible amount of time and money into it over the years and we will continue to whatever we can, and whatever it takes. Our extremely high performance, quality, and stability standards are core to our being and a big part of why people choose us.

Attacks tend to come in waves and the waves usually crest when the kids who launch them are home from school, bored, and unsupervised.
not-tu
New to forums
New to forums

Post by not-tu »

Ah okay DDoS attacks make sense. Thanks for the info!
PowersGaming
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by PowersGaming »

We had problems with our Mumble server on Friday night (22nd). This was during a match. Love you guys and I know you're doing the very best you can to eradicate the problem. What can we do to help out on our end ?
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

You could move your voice server to another location that is perhaps less prone to attacks. Maybe NFO could provide you with the information you would need to make that decision.
Not a NFO employee