Clay52
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Re: Ventrillo Server Admin question

Post by Clay52 »

Clay52 wrote:
Clay52 wrote:
Edge100x wrote:What is happening when you try to do this? Is it giving an error?
No error, just no option for instance, "Create Channel" or something similar...

Also, I'm trying to create a unique login, as per the vent docs under "Log In/ Logout" section for myself as Server Admin but having difficulties with that, it's a work in progress...
I think I have a handle on the creating channel but still trying to make a unique login for myself as Server Admin, thanks for all the time Edge.
Ok, the channel creation is going well but one question if I may, in the ctrl panel it's showing that there is a "Lobby" but in my Vent client window it's not showing and when I go to create "Lobby" channel, it gives "bad name" error...
Siren
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Siren »

"I think I have a handle on the creating channel but still trying to make a unique login for myself as Server Admin, thanks for all the time Edge"

Take a look at this, it's a good bit of info on the vent users :)

http://www.ventrilo.com/uar.php
<Spray> Please try locking your modem in a closet, or facing it towards the wall in the corner, so it knows its misbehaved
Siren
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Siren »

Clay52 wrote:
Clay52 wrote:[quote="Clay52
Ok, the channel creation is going well but one question if I may, in the ctrl panel it's showing that there is a "Lobby" but in my Vent client window it's not showing and when I go to create "Lobby" channel, it gives "bad name" error...
Since the main default channel is technically the lobby it won't allow for a second one to be created thats why it's giving that error. Try to name the new channel something different.
<Spray> Please try locking your modem in a closet, or facing it towards the wall in the corner, so it knows its misbehaved
Clay52
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Clay52 »

Siren wrote:
Clay52 wrote:
Clay52 wrote:[quote="Clay52
Since the main default channel is technically the lobby it won't allow for a second one to be created thats why it's giving that error. Try to name the new channel something different.
I've got trouble it seems, I set up a unique login as Server Admin as per the "Ventrilo - User Editor - Admin tab " doc and logged off and tried to log back on but now get the error: "Connected to server but unable to authenticate your login name and password. Make sure you entered the correct global server password or the password for your unique login name..."
Clay52
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Clay52 »

Ok from this, specifically #3:

Server Admin

When checked this account will be automatically assigned Server Admin rights when they login. Be careful when giving people this right as they will have absolute control of the server including the ability to modify and / or delete other server admin's.

When you first get your server you will most likely be logging in as a Guest and should create a new account for yourself that has the Server Admin right.

1) Right click in the main window and select Server Admin -> Login
2) Enter the global server admin password.
3) Open the User Editor window and create a unique login name and password for yourself.
4) Select the Generic Admin profile and press load.
5) Click on the Admin tab and enable Server Admin and any other options you think you will need.
6) Click Add.

Now log out of the server. Modify your details for this server so that your account now has the unique password. Log back into the server and it should give you automatic Server Admin rights.

If you are the owner of the server you should never give the global admin password to anyone. Keep it for yourself in case of emergencies. With version 3.0 on up you can assign admin equivalent rights to ordinary users without having to give them full Server Admin. Consequently, because an account has Server Admin doesn't mean that they have complete control like older versions did. They would still need to enable the other options found on the Admin tab. Then again, if they have Server Admin they can assign themselves these options. Assign it sparingly and only to people you can trust.

If you revoked the server admin right for an account that is currently logged in then it will take effect as soon as you press the Update button. However, if you assign the server admin to an account that is already logged in then they must disconnect and reconnect for the server admin right to take effect.

Now, I created a unique login+pw as instructed, and after adding, I logged off the server and then it says: "Modify your details for this server so that your account now has the unique password"...

Isn't this the same Global Server Admin pw that's listed in the ctrl panel necessarily?
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Hi to make a unique login for your self you will need to right click somewhere in your Ventrilo and hit "Server Admin" Then "User Editor". Once that is done you will see a medium sized box pop up. Select your user name from the "Login Name" box. Then type a password. After that at the top you will see "Profiles" Select default admin from that list. Select add then close the box. Now disconnect from your server and enter your unique password where is says password under your servers IP/port.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Clay52
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Clay52 »

Now I had to log in as a different user, then subsequently login in with the global server admin pw, go to user edit and delete the bad login and start over. I can obviously login as a server admin again but I can't seem to do it automatically upon starting up Vent.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

No the unique password is a password in which you can create random passwords to give to users or admins without them having full admin or knowing the admin password.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

After you have entered your password and re connected to your server Ventrilo should automatically save your password and recognize you as admin on joining your server.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
Clay52
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Clay52 »

kraze wrote:Hi to make a unique login for your self you will need to right click somewhere in your Ventrilo and hit "Server Admin" Then "User Editor". Once that is done you will see a medium sized box pop up. Select your user name from the "Login Name" box. Then type a password. After that at the top you will see "Profiles" Select default admin from that list. Select add then close the box. Now disconnect from your server and enter your unique password where is says password under your servers IP/port.
Ok but does my pw have to be the same as the global server admin pw necessarily?
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

No not at all. I would suggest making it completely random or something you will remember.

Use the global admin password as a backup for you and you only incase you ever get locked out of your own vent or admin rights revoked.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
Clay52
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Clay52 »

kraze wrote:No not at all. I would suggest making it completely random or something you will remember.

Use the global admin password as a backup for you and you only incase you ever get locked out of your own vent or admin rights revoked.
kraze, thanks for your time and advice, not a bad idea to have a backup pw other than the global. I do use a few pw's that are considered strong so I'm in good shape there.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Very glad to hear it! Please let us know if you need any more help :)
@Juski> Doesn't matter!