Mumble - ICE v DBus

Raipin
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Mumble - ICE v DBus

Post by Raipin »

I know you guys are currently using DBus interface for your Mumble servers (according to the knowledge base for historical reasons). I was wondering if there is any talk/planning/action in progress to migrating that deprecated interface to the ICE interface, since the major security concern of allowing any local connection full access has been alleviated (natively, that is).

As a follow up question, if there is planning/action in place to migrate from DBus to ICE, will you be allowing external connections for clients?

I'm currently renting a 50-Slot Mumble server from you, but between the fairly common DDoS attacks on your NYC Farm and the lack of server-side customization (the major selling point for Mumble imo) is kind of killing it for me. If you could at the very least provide some ICE support, even if it's only on your side and give the EU some way to submit scripts (or just include your own features), I'd be willing to pay quite a premium.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Mumble - ICE v DBus

Post by Edge100x »

There aren't any current plans to do this, as there haven't been many calls for it, and Murmur is a bit of a PITA to support and automate on the server side, making system changes non-trivial. Can you link me to information on the sorts of functions that you'd be using through the ICE interface?
Raipin
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Raipin »

All of these scripts can be found at http://gitorious.org/mumble-scripts/mum ... ees/master, I've been looking for DBus equivalents but as DBus support was deprecated quite some time ago, it's been difficult, needless to say.

Auto-AFK - Mumo
Auto-Authen - phpbb3auth
Spectator Sync - evebot

Auto-Authen's one of the bigger ones I'd like to see put in. Spectator Sync is just something that would be nice, but it's not make/break either way. Auto-AFK is something that I think would be of major convenience for Mumbler's + an ease for server bandwidth use.

I'm not sure how many Mumble server you rent out, as I know in the game I play it took quite a bit of convincing to get everyone to switch over from Ventrilo, but AFAIK no other hosting provider is selling these services, and I think the ability to just tie in your VoIP server with forums, and let all the permissions propagate from there would be amazing.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

That is very interesting. Investigating this in more depth is something that I will definitely put on my "to do" list.
Raipin
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Raipin »

That's good to hear, let me know if there's anything I can do to help.
movax
New to forums
New to forums

Post by movax »

I'm working on a script right now that automatically moves users into a channel on Mumble based on what team they are on in BF3. I have the BF3 end done, and can get a list of all the players and their team ID via RCON.

However, the Mumble end depends on me using ICE to connect to the Murmur on NFO and this is the most recent thread I've found on this. It looks like setting up ICE slices and such is not trivial, but this would be a nice feature to have. (I don't think Mumble could make their docs any more confusing when it comes to Ice).

I'm idling in the #NFO-Support IRC channel on Gamesurge as 'movax'.
VAPOR
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by VAPOR »

Watching this thread intently...
Please add "Americas Army Proving Grounds" to the servers offered listing!
http://d3g.in
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Anything to do with Murmur is very complicated, unfortunately, and all our scripts are based around DBus. As you said, nothing is very well-documented, as well.
movax
New to forums
New to forums

Post by movax »

Edge100x wrote:Anything to do with Murmur is very complicated, unfortunately, and all our scripts are based around DBus. As you said, nothing is very well-documented, as well.
Definitely, the documentation leaves a lot to be desired and I think it'd consume a not-insignificant chunk of manhours on your part. That said, if I could say get this working locally on a test setup of mine, would you guys be interested at all in supporting it at that point? I suppose it would take away the pain of researching/trial and error in setup, and only require some network configuration on your end for the slices.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Murmur is tightly integrated into our automated systems and control panel and modifying that integration is where the pain comes from in switching to ICE. Unfortunately your experiences would not help much with that =\.
VAPOR
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by VAPOR »

What would help ?
Please add "Americas Army Proving Grounds" to the servers offered listing!
http://d3g.in
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Nothing specifically right now.