Murmur / Mumble Sound Artifacts

xtitan1
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Murmur / Mumble Sound Artifacts

Post by xtitan1 »

I have been having a heck of a time trying to find an answer to this question. We have a murmur server with NFO and ever since the 1.2.1 update of about a year ago certain users get a very grating noise artifact that pops up usually when they speak loudly or are pronouncing consonants. It is similar to a tearing sound or loud crackle and it's very piercing to the ear drums.

All users can hear it from the people whom seem to have it occur when they speak. If that person changes microphones it sometimes can alleviate the problem. Some others who have changed microphones for other reasons suddenly develop the problem.

The only thing that seems to have an effect settings-wise is turning down the amplification slider at the bottom of the audio input tab in the options (make sure advanced is checked). This is usually at something very high and sometimes if turned down below a value of 3 will cause the crackling to decrease, but not always.

Has anyone else experienced this or has any suggestions for things to try?
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Murmur / Mumble Sound Artifacts

Post by kraze »

Hm..

I have never heard of this. However first impressions lead me to believe that it is a client side problem.

What are the users ping, in which it happens to?
Does it happen to certain type of people? Admin,guest or even a certain channel?
Does the problem ever go away permanently for some users?
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
xtitan1
New to forums
New to forums

Post by xtitan1 »

kraze wrote:Hm..

I have never heard of this. However first impressions lead me to believe that it is a client side problem.

What are the users ping, in which it happens to?
Does it happen to certain type of people? Admin,guest or even a certain channel?
Does the problem ever go away permanently for some users?

Well it happens to almost every user but I for sure hear it a lot and my ping is in the low 50 ms range. The server is in Dallas and I live in Virginia. The rest of my guys are mostly West Coast and I hear it from them but also some guys in places like Iowa and Wisconsin. I hear the issue from the same users unless they change their microphone. So yes, it may be client side but on the side of the person talking not the person listening. When I hear it when someone talks, I ask the others in channel if they heard it as well and they say yes.

It seems to happen in all channels and all types of people, unregistered, registered, what have you.

I think there may be one or two guys that I characteristically don't hear it from because they are very soft spoken guys. One of which I am thinking of recently moved from Boston to Washington and he continues to not set off the artifacting when he talks.

Otherwise everyone has it to some degree as far as I can tell

This thread seems to be the same issue but no resolution:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mumble/ ... ic/3496583
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

From the sounds of that, it simple sounds like the volume is to high. Here is a good test. Have everyone or even just a couple of people turn there volume to the lowest possible point to where you can still hear them. Then have them talk.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
xtitan1
New to forums
New to forums

Post by xtitan1 »

Seems like making sure absolutely everyone has amplification set to 1 instead of whatever audio config says is helping

http://www.moodoo.org/guides/mumble-t27.html
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Glad to hear it! Audio is a pain to get right. The wrong amplification can cause drastic effects.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!