Request/Suggest update to Murmurs to use ICE

TheGurw
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Request/Suggest update to Murmurs to use ICE

Post by TheGurw »

WARNING: The DBus interface for the server is deprecated and will not be extended any more (and thus is already missing features). Use the Ice interface instead.
Source: http://mumble.sourceforge.net/DBus

As stated, the DBus interface is deprecated and is already missing plenty of features. ICE opens up so many more options than DBus, and I'd hate to have to use a different host just because you still use a no longer supported interface.

I know you pride yourself on being the best providers possible, and I think that this is one way you can uphold that tradition.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Request/Suggest update to Murmurs to use ICE

Post by Edge100x »

We've had a couple of other people ask about ICE, as well, which led to the creation of the KB topic on this.

Right now their ICE interface doesn't offer notable features not also exposed in DBus that I've found, and the conversion would be non-trivial, to say the least. It is something that I will consider when I have time, but may need to wait until their next release.

To some extent, it seems like the Mumble/Murmur devs have integrated technologies that they found interesting, just because they were interesting. It would have been easier and more compatible to skip DBus and ICE from the beginning and write a simple querying/RPC protocol of their own, for instance -- but more boring. At the time we integrated Murmur, ICE didn't even support authentication, and DBus was (and continues to be) a difficult beast just to install and configure. Murmur's lack of a built-in, anonymous, public-facing querying interface has further prevented it from taking off because clients have not been able to as easily show the status of their server on a webpage, as they can with Ventrilo or TS3.
TheGurw
New to forums
New to forums

Re: Request/Suggest update to Murmurs to use ICE

Post by TheGurw »

Understood. Thank you for the clarification!