Move Mumble to Ice please

BlackAbbot
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Move Mumble to Ice please

Post by BlackAbbot »

It's been a couple of years since the last request was made and the counter arguments for sticking with DBUS were quite solid at the time but are largely deprecated now, much like DBUS itself. The options that Ice offers both for administrators and users compared to DBUS are overwhelming, particularly with 1.2.4 just about to hit stable.

MumPI is just one of the(better), web interfaces supporting Ice with no additional licencing requirements. MumPI includes built in support for the now standardised Mumble Channel Viewer Protocol, through Ice. Given MumPI is licensed under the LGPL, you could if you wished, even integrate as much or as little of it as you wished into your own proprietary Control Panel without fear of copyright violation or the need to expose any of your own source code.
BlackAbbot
New to forums
New to forums

Re: Move Mumble to Ice please

Post by BlackAbbot »

Do we have any sign of traction on this yet?

DBUS is obsolete and 1.2.4 has brought yet more server control features dependant on ICE.
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

Teamspeak 3 is infinitely better VOIP, and has a much, much larger user base. With the incredibly low population of Mumble users, making such changes is really not very cost effective. Why go with free Mumble, when you can have free TS3?

Doesn't really make sense.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Overall making the switch from DBus to Ice would be extremely difficult and so far there hasn't been enough demand to justify the time to do it.

You'd think the Mumble developers would just incorporate these kinds of features and options into their release by now, instead of relying on several third party systems.

It doesn't mean we'll never make the switch, it just means the time isn't right at the moment.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I'm planning to implement the change, but have not yet had the time to do so. It will require a rewrite of all of our Murmur wrappers and adjustment scripts, which is unfortunately non-trivial.

Both DBus and ICE are pretty bad.
BlackAbbot
New to forums
New to forums

Post by BlackAbbot »

TacTicToe wrote:Why go with free Mumble, when you can have free TS3?

I dunno, maybe the fact that it has significantly better audio quality and latency and security and permissions and a better overlay and lower bandwidth and lower server overhead and what is it that TS3 does better exactly? I know I've heard that trotted out a number of times, but other than the prettier frontend which counts for very little when you never actually look at it 90% of the time, I'm yet to hear a convincing reason.

But to actually return to the topic for a moment, thanks for the response, NFO staff, even if it is not quite the one I had hoped for. I live in hope.
HowIChrgeLazer
A regular
A regular

Post by HowIChrgeLazer »

BlackAbbot wrote:
TacTicToe wrote:Why go with free Mumble, when you can have free TS3?

I dunno, maybe the fact that it has significantly better audio quality and latency and security and permissions and a better overlay and lower bandwidth and lower server overhead and what is it that TS3 does better exactly? I know I've heard that trotted out a number of times, but other than the prettier frontend which counts for very little when you never actually look at it 90% of the time, I'm yet to hear a convincing reason.

But to actually return to the topic for a moment, thanks for the response, NFO staff, even if it is not quite the one I had hoped for. I live in hope.
I like Mumble, but only part of this has some truth. TS3 can also use the Opus codec, so the audio quality point is moot.

I'm in the process of setting up mumble on our one core VDS here to see the difference between DBus and ICE. It's kind of a pain on CentOS.
[RAGE CAGE] Gaming
Because video games FAIL at making you happy.
http://ragecagegaming.com/